Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted to buy -- Small trailer

Hi all,

Anyone have a small used trailer with title that they'd like to sell for a reasonable price?

I've got an opportunity to buy a nice used kayak at a good price, but it's too big for me to haul without a trailer, and it's not so good a price that I want to purchase a new trailer to haul it.

Thanks for any leads you have, even if it's a pointer in the right direction.

Chris H.
    '12 Black JK 2dr

why not create a front riser and throw it on the Jeep?
    Larry Anderson - Just a quiet, little trail rig.

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

well, it's a little long. It's a 14' kayak, and a 13.6' jeep. Doable, I suppose, but it's going to be harder than I'd like to sling it up there. It's kind of a beast of a kayak at ~120-150lbs.

Plus, most of the riser/rack options I've seen for the 2dr soft-top JK look either like they'll make taking the soft top down a pain, or will be whistle/rattle generators on the highway.

I guess I just thought a small trailer would be easier.
      Chris H.
      '12 Black JK 2dr

Comment

What larry said ! So if centered you are only 3" over on each end .If I was looking to go out in a kayak it would not be on a trailer. Jeep ,kayak on the roof =more remote places/scenery .
        Greg-

Comment

I agree, I like the idea of a front riser. It certainly would allow greater ability to launch from places only a Wrangler could reach (without a trailer)....

But what options do you suggest for a front riser? The only thing I could think of would be to weld tubes or slots for tubes to my front bumper and allow me to put the 'riser' up above the front windshield, as I wouldn't want the kayak resting on the painted windshield frame.

Is that what you're suggesting? More than what I planned, and possibly only marginally cheaper than purchasing a small used trailer, with my available skillset, but I'm intrigued and listening....

Chris H.
          '12 Black JK 2dr

Comment

I used to put a 2 person kayak on the roof of my YJ back when it was street legal. Don't remember the exact overall length except that it was longer than the Jeep LOL. Made it work easy enough plus then you don't have the hassle of a trailer.
            Mike S.
            '94 YJ "BlackRhinoYJ"
            YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/BlackRhinoOffRoad

Comment

So... last year Flo & I bought two kayaks. I didn't want to follow in Rob K's footsteps with a Bass boat. But that's another story. Anyway, they are 12' long and I carry both on top of the Ram's quad cab using Yakima racks and J hooks. There is a decent amount of overhang on each side. The bows get tied to the Ram's tow hooks, the sterns tie down to the D ring in the hitch receiver. I looked into using the JK for racks,however the hardtop would be over max load (100lb) with both kayaks and rack hardware. For a single kayak you could use a basic padded block with some ratchet tie downs. Check out The Google images - there are a lot of creative solutions for hauling a kayak on a Jeep. And btw... front and rear tie downs are required in PA, optional in NJ.
              Pat

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I just re-read one of your posts... 14' and 120-150 pounds!?!?!? My 12' weighs in at 48. What is it made of? And I'm guessing it's weight is contributing to why its such a good deal. Maybe not. 120lbs will get old really quick. Especially if you have to self-recover.
                Pat

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Comment

It's a fishing kayak, there's a link in post #3. pedal drive and a lot of fancy stuff, like rails, etc. Haven't you seen my Jeep?!?!?!?! lol.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-pro-angler-14/
                  Chris H.
                  '12 Black JK 2dr

Comment

Ha! found the link... saw the boat... buy an old boat trailer... :)
                    Pat

Comment

keep in mind that most small trailers are not long enough for kayaks. I used to have a little 4x8 trailer, and we had 4 kayaks. I built a big rack with 2x4s for the trailer, but biased it toward the rear. so the kayaks didn't hit my car. I had to put several cinder blocks in the front of the trailer to balance it.
                      Larry Anderson - Just a quiet, little trail rig.

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12057_1304_07.htm

somthing like this could work for you . Would hold the kayak and give some protection in off camber situations. And I bet you could creative with some 3/8" plywood or composite material to make an interlocking platform that would fit and not take up much space in back . That way you could travel to remote location with kayak on top and then set a small 2 man tent on that and it would be on the cheap side .
                        Greg-

Comment

Working...
                        X