Dana 300 (re) build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 300 (re) build

We (thanks Dave & Frank!!!) discovered (on the way home from Rausch, Sunday) that my clocking ring has come loose from the transfercase. The T-case actually moves around a bit. :shock: As a result, it is slowly leaking oil.

It is time to drop the T-case and install the Lo-Max 4:1 kit (thanks again Rob K.)! I will be rebuilding it at the same time. It has at least 300K on it, so I think it's time! :D

It was recently suggested to me to upgrade the rear output at the same time- I saw JB Conversions website about a new tail-shaft kit and saw that it allows for a driveshaft brake kit. JB Conversions clearly states that they do not sell said E-brake kit. Will someone please point me in the right direction for that kit? I did alittle searhing for it and left a message with JB Convs' in reagards to it.

This is what I'm talking about:

The Early CJ's came with a driveshaft brake-- if anyone has used one of these, you know how great they are! I'd love to have this option on my '7. The other issue that comes to mind is will it work with a CV'd rear driveshaft? I know the one on my Willys has a flange mounted upper yoke.
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

I will not stop you in an emergency. spidertrax had one a while ago. Definatly go with the jb 32spl rear output.

Comment

wwwhighangledriveline.com has what you need
      Robert Kosinski
      http://robertkosinski.zenfolio.com/
      http://www.youtube.com/user/rocksteadyrobk

Comment

Originally posted by Rokspydr
        I will not stop you in an emergency.
        Tha's OK-- I'm looking more for the parking brake feature-- besides-- I don't think my current e-brake will help in an emergency either! :-$ I've never had much luck with it-- repaced all the cables, lubed and adjusted everything-- still seems marginal, especially as a parking brake.

thanks to both of you for the input-- I'm definetly gong for the 32 spl shaft.

here's the e-brake kit .... I'd like to set it up as a hand brake

Comment

I just got off the phone with High Angle-- they don't make a e-brake kit for the JB tailshaft-- they DO make one for the AA 32 spl kit. :-k

What's the consensus on the AA kit vs. the JB kit?

It seems as the AA kit will work fine with the JB Lo-Max gears, no?

Comment

It would have to be e-brake only or it'll heat up like a pinion brake on the road.

I agree w/ Rob, High angle was the only place I saw that had flanges for em. I had looked into that idea awhile back.
            Dan M.
            Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
            48 days on trail in 2012!
            '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
            '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

Now thats just wierd..

I spoke with rob today about upgrading my 300 to lomax as well.. freaky deaky..

hey rob .. who called you first??

Comment

Ugh-- I just called High-Angle back-- The driveshaft length doesn't change, but their kit DOES requires stepping up to the 1350 u-joint shaft-- AFAIK I'm running the 1310 joints(stock CJ/Cherokee size?). Stacking on the $$$$!!! #-o #-o #-o

Who else makes these type of brake kits?

It would have to be e-brake only or it'll heat up like a pinion brake on the road.
                Yeah, I won't be using it as a primary brake system ;)

Comment

Welp, I'm all ordered up..

LoMax 4:1 and 32 spline output shaft/housing assembly

If you hem and haw over the output shaft the sales guy will knock off 50 bux.

Comment

hmmm...

http://www.tsmmfg.com/Transfer_Case_Park_%20Brake.htm

Comment

I have the jb 32 spl rear output and still use the 1310 double cardan.

Comment

Pete,

For a Parking Brake I use a fancy ball valve on my rear brakes. Its still hydraulic but it works great holds for days and passed Neuroc tech.
                        Robert Kosinski
                        http://robertkosinski.zenfolio.com/
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/rocksteadyrobk

Comment

the 32 spline output is on it's way-- looks like Jon and I are going to have a 300 building party-- anybody coming?

The 1310 CV youke is on BO for a few days, so we are hoping to see the stuff in about a week!

Rob-- I have to get that info from you about that ball valve brake--

Comment

Re: Dana 300 (re) build

Originally posted by Jeep-Power
                            The Early CJ's came with a driveshaft brake-- if anyone has used one of these, you know how great they are! I'd love to have this option on my '7.
                            ok, i am unenlightened. what's so great about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep-Power
                              The 1310 CV youke is on BO for a few days-
                              Where'd ya order the yoke from? and how much was it?
                              (1310... i.e. XJ 2xCardan?)

Comment

Working...
                              X