No announcement yet.

PROJECT - "Trail Yacht"- '08 JKU Rubi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so I fit the PCV to one side of the tube and the air temp sensor to the other --the holes were already there!

trial fit, with filter

I had to trim the PCV tube--

the iar sensor wire was alittle short, so I had to pop off the mount, so that it fit without tension

I wanted to do something to help keep the hot air form the raditator out of the filter. I had some white Formica that did the trick. :D

done!

Performance Report: Well, it certainly has a bit more low end snap! I was worried it was going to be loud and take away form the comfortable stock feel. It does not make any more noise crusing around. It does hiss a little at idle, it whisltles a little at partial throttle (like the 4.0 does, but not nearly as loud), and when I goose the throttle, it has a nice "wwwoooohhhhh" sound-- :D

`

by the way-- here is the throttle body-- it is PLASTIC , has a 63MM straight-through bore without the stepdown the 4.0 had, It is servo controlled (no throttle cable here!)

What I thought was interesting was that the throttle body has a smaller diameter than the bore of the intake manifold. It seems that a larger bore throttle body will bolt right up-- I'd say 68MM... :-k

`
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

Peter,

I'm curious to learn what (if anything) is different between your mod and the aftermarket mods that cost anywhere from $200-$300+? I just read through the K&N installation instructions and aside from the heat shield, it looks like what you fabricated. K&N is $321 online. Is there $250 of pure profit in there?

Thanks for the tech info & pics.
      Pat

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquale
        Is there $250 of pure profit in there?

Yeah, pretty much-- they need to make their $$ for the time it took for them to figure it out, put a kit together, get it to market, and all.

I just was able to do that for a fraction of the cost :D

The kit I got the tube out of came with a filter and the connectors. It was $70. I know some of the other cool air intakes (CAI) have a really nice shield that actually seals the filter area from the rest of the engine compartment-- may be good for a few more ponies, but not worth the extra $$ in my book.

Comment

Very nice. So the key to making this work was finding the tube that was already set for the PVC & sensor - yes? What is holding the sensor in place?

The whole assembly doesn't rattle? Or am I not seeing a bracket?

Could you fabricate a heat shield from the old filter housing? Maybe cut out the top & two sides, leaving the sides facing the engine & the bottom intact where it mounts to the body? You'd get that nifty after-market look. :D
          Pat

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Pat--

The holes in the tube just happened to be in the right places-- if they weren't, a drill and file will make quick work of it.

I used a (home made) grommet to secure the sensor in the tube.

It is pretty secure, with the rubber couplers holding it together-- the 'cold air shield' helps support the filter end-- I'm sure a bit more time and creativity with some more flexable materail will produce something even more 'sealing' and supportive.

I thought about using the old filter box, but it didn't look like it was going to produce anything that was worth hacking it to pieces-- besides-- I like that this mod is totally reverseable by keeping the OEM setup in one piece (Just stored away).

Comment

Peter

Nice work! It looks no different from the $300 air intakes.
              Pete
              CJ 5.75

Comment

Thanks Pete

Well, I drove out to OK4WD today-- NOTE - if you go there, BE SURE TO BRING YOUR CLUB CARD-- they will NOT give a discount without it!

Anyway-- somehow a new stubby bumper (Rugged Ridge) and a 2.5 Teraflex BB snuck onto the back and came home with me!

Comment

-- NOTE - if you go there, BE SURE TO BRING YOUR CLUB CARD-- they will NOT give a discount without it!
                  Oops I still need to get mine!

Sweet, I see the preparations for trail rides is well under way. Is there a skid plate for the oil pan available yet?
                  Pete
                  CJ 5.75

Comment

sweet tech pete. i too got lucky in making an intake for the xj. i bought the tube from a honda shop for $6 (it was from the scrap box) and i just bought a cone filter for it. as far as the heat shield im using the lower half of the stock air box. works like a charm. sweet jeep btw

Comment

The Rugged Ridge bumper went on easy-- I'm not crazy about the tow hooks it came with, but the fog lights are placed better.

OEM setup

remove all these bolts (and the ones on the inside of the other side of the framerail). The ones with the nuts hold on the steel sub bumper and tow hooks.

These things are trouble-- I'm not sure why they have a phillips head socket in them, because using a screwdriver ont hem produces NOTHING!

I ended up drilling these out.

More here-- fortunately removing the stuff above it allowed me to push the center screws out for the inside.

removing the mess-- be careful of the wires... they end up being the only thing holding it all on.

the swaybar disconnect..

ready for the install

where the foglights lived...

foglights...

Stock tow hooks...

new home for the fogs...

Done- I'm sorta happy with it... wanna make some shackle-eye plates and maybe something for the ends, so they aren't so blunt...

Comment

GOt the Terraflex 2.5 Budget Boost (BB) installed last night too. Unfortunately the cold wreaks havoc on the batteries in the camera, so these are the only two shots I got... 8-[

Front suspension-- shocks out...

Springs out-- spacers going in...

I'll get some before and after shots later... by the way-- 475 miles on the speedo...

`

Comment

[quote="Jeep-Power"]Thanks Pete

Well, I drove out to OK4WD today-- NOTE - if you go there, BE SURE TO BRING YOUR CLUB CARD-- they will NOT give a discount without it!

Peter,

thats's odd, I was in there just yesterday and ordered a bunch of skid plates & misc stuff. They gave me the discount with no question what so ever, guess it depends on who you deal with.

And I do not have a membership card, and honsetlty did not know we had them, who should I see at the meeting about getting one?

On the tech side, are you worried about water with the new intake set up?

Comment

On the tech side, are you worried about water with the new intake set up?

No. I don't plan to ever drive it through water that deep. In my 20 years of driving a Jeep, I've really never been in deeper than the rockers. If I did, it seems to me the stock airbox doesn't offer much more protection anyway.

Comment

While brousing or surfing or something, we stumbled upon the "winter and off-road rims" offered by Mopar for the JK. Not wanting to scuff our pretty aluminum rims, we thought the steels were a perfect choice for wheelin' the JK. So we bought 5-- thanks to Butler Jeep for getting them for us! They seem to be the modern equivalent of the Wagon Wheel. I'm pretty sure these are the same rims used on the Skunkworks JT.

Their MOPAR part number is: 52124455AB

They come only in black. We felt the black was going to make the Jeep look too heavy. So, bucking the modern trend of black wheels, we painted them. It may come as a surprise to those who know me, but we chose white. :D

I got them over to my source of a tire machine and moutned and balanced the OEM BF Goodrich Mud Terrains onto them. So here it sits, with the Teraflex 2.5 and the Mopar Steelies-- We really like the way it looks.

(these are camera-phone pics-- sorry for the blow-out on the white)

NOTE - when I installed the Budget Boost, I did NOT install the OEM rear spring pads, just the Teraflex spacers. It sits alittle more level this way.

`

Comment

Looking good, sir. But I think black would've looked sweet with the black flares and trim. Of course I also write where dents come from with a paint marker on my Jeep, so who am I to criticize? :D

So are the aluminum rims going into storage, or will they be used with 'street meats' so you can save the BFGs for wheelin?
                                Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
                                I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
                                2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

Working...
                                X