No announcement yet.

PROJECT - "Trail Yacht"- '08 JKU Rubi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete do you go to work anymore or just stay home and play with the new Jeep?

Comment

Looks great! I see your Rubicon decals also fell off. Were those a casualty of the wind?

Comment

Originally posted by 2001TJ
        Looking good, sir. But I think black would've looked sweet with the black flares and trim. Of course I also write where dents come from with a paint marker on my Jeep, so who am I to criticize? :D

So are the aluminum rims going into storage, or will they be used with 'street meats' so you can save the BFGs for wheelin?

:D thanks Chris!

Yeah, the aluminums are waiting for a set of street sneakers...
        'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
        1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

Pete do you go to work anymore or just stay home and play with the new Jeep?

:D sort of, I go to work and and dream of playing with the JK...

Looks great! I see your Rubicon decals also fell off. Were those a casualty of the wind?

Thanks Dave-- yeah, all the stock vinyl fell off, but something better grew in its place. :-$

Comment

Picture this on the Drivers side of the hood

HERS-------->

and on the passegers side

HIS : ) -------->

Comment

Whoa! I'm sensing another "This is NOT my husband's Jeep" sticker coming...

Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
              I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
              2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

thats a good looking H3 :D
                Robert Kosinski
                http://robertkosinski.zenfolio.com/
                http://www.youtube.com/user/rocksteadyrobk

Comment

Originally posted by rocksteadyrobk
                  thats a good looking H3 :D

fawker!

I'm just not seeing the similarities... :-k

Comment

Peter,

Have you figured out anything for the cargo bay? - There's no place to hook the ratchet straps! The back of the rear seat has the child-seat brackets, but that's it. On Feb's ride, I ran the strap around the entire back seat & around the gear & snugged it all up. It was *ok* but not great.

I'm thinking of sinking in a flush-mount tie-down on the sides, in the wheel wells as opposed to the bottom. I have no clue what kind of tie down, but I figure I'll hunker down with Google when I'm ready.

Just looking for your $.02 on the issue...
                    Pat

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Pat-
                      I was able to buy some mini D-rings and plates at the local CampOut. I think they'll work great, but Joanna isn't keen on drilling into the body just yet. [-X

Comment

Use some Loctite adhesives instead of drilling. Depending on what you get you'll actually create a stronger joint than with standard fasteners. You also won't have to worry about rust.

I have some if you'd like to use it....it's just sitting in my desk unopened.

Comment

^ I hope your joking.

Comment

Well, I finally got the bumper done-- I hadn't attached the shackle plates or permanently mounted the license plate.

before

after

"fixed" the side logo

before

after

Steve Picaroni helped me install the Skid ROw engine and trans skid that 'Bean sold me (thanks Chris!)

before

the OEM transmission skid

installed

`

Comment

Use some Loctite adhesives instead of drilling.
                              Dave-- is it some sort of epoxy? I'm guessing it requires sanding throught the paint... :-k

Comment

^ I hope your joking.
                                Nope, I'm not joking. I have some Loctite here at work that I got directly from their head of military sales. I have to look up the ratings on what I have but in general a professional grade adhesive (not threadlocker, Elmers, or Crazy Glue) can very often be stronger than typical fasteners. Using a strong adhesive means you increase the surface area of the bond and drastically increase the shear strength. The shear stress is a function of the joined area (larger area = lower stress)...in the case of using two bolts your strength will be limited by the grade and diameter of the bolt. When using an adhesive, your bonded area is much larger since you join the entire mating surface. This also means you spread the stress out over the entire surface instead of concentrating it on the bolts. Using the right adhesive will give you better results than steel. It is actually a great solution when you don't plan to move or service a component since the only way to remove it is to destroy the part. This is how a lot of industries are saving weight when it comes to what they are producing (automotive, aerospace, marine, etc).

I know this sounds ridiculous but it is true...I can look up some examples.

Dave-- is it some sort of epoxy? I'm guessing it requires sanding throught the paint...
                                The stuff I have is not an epoxy...they actually have the correct curing agents mixed in (one is an ultraviolet activation and the other is air activated). I don't know if it is the right stuff though...I have to check the tables to see what kind of materials they can mate to. As for surface prep, you're right, something would need to be done depending on the adhesive.

Comment

Working...
                                X