No announcement yet.

PROJECT - "Trail Yacht"- '08 JKU Rubi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use some Loctite adhesives instead of drilling.
    I'm interested! I wasn't looking forward to drilling either. I hope you'll be there tonight - can you show us the stuff you're talking about?

Thanks,
    Pat

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Comment

TF budget boost fix

Well, after the March ride, I found that the rear swaybar bolts (supplied with the Terra lift) had grabbed the brake lines and played havoc with them. The passengerside was ripped downward but somehow was not leaking, despite a 135 degree downward bend (where the line was originally vertical) right at the flare nut. It did end up breaking when I straightened it. This required a little Step 8 before having to strip off the black coating and reflaring it. #-o

Anyway-- this post is all about the fix---

I am not clear what the installation instructions sugggest be done with the extended swaybar mounts. The photos aren't terrible clear and I was unable to get a satisfactory answer out of anything written in the instructions. I was on my own when I installed them and this ultimately got me in trouble.

I found the best way to keep the brakelines safe was to mount the TF extended swaybar links on the inside of the swaybar, run the bolt from the inside-out, and then grind the bolt flush with the nut. I also had to reroute the brakelines. The trouble on the drivers side was the bolt head rubbing the rim and knocking off the finish and wheelweights.

here's what I have now-- no rubbing on the rims OR the frame.

Upper passenger side -- note the ground-smooth-to-the-nut bolt

lower passengerside

Drivers side brake line routing. I routed it this way on both sides-- Also, it can be seen in this pic where the bolt used to rub on the upper edge of the frame. See the marks just ahead of the forward bend of the brake line.
      'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
      1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

To keep up with the oil-change part of this thread-- here's the latest info.

I went over the 1000 mile target- this next batch had just under 2000 miles on it-- the JK had about 2500 miles on it.

As you may be able to tell-- the oil on this change is ALOT less metallic. It was about the same color/darkness as the last oil change.

I changed the filter again (the first was at 650 miles, the second oil change)-- once it was drained of oil, it was alot lighter than the pervious filter!

feast your eyes:

compared to the first batch, it looks alot better! :D

Comment

let us not forget

Pete..

no doubt the jeep is awesome, clean and beautiful....BUT

the dog is realllyy cute too. GO COOKIE
          Deb Saccente

1999 TJ - 33"s, 4" lift, 44's locked front/rear
          former: '98 TJ, '01 Grand Cherokee, '04 Liberty (YUCK!) & '46CJ2A
          My Jeep life has come full circle !

Comment

Well, after waiting a while , hoping someone will produce a molded A-pillar gauge pod for the JK, I was able to come up with this on my own. It is B&M's gauge pod that came with my trans temp gauge. The finish matched the A-pillar cover almost exactly. A little heating with the heat gun and a little shaping and it looks great-- at least a lot better than any of the others I have seen screwed to the A-pillar.

This was B&M PN: B/M80212

Comment

Very nice! Clean looking install. =D>

Comment

Peter - Did you keep the OEM shocks on with the TF BB? If so, how are the mount extensions holding up? I'd like to do the TF BB on mine, but I'd also like to get a bit more use out of the OEM shocks. The JK will be on pavement or maybe just a green trail for the foreseeable future.

Thanks!
                Pat

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Pat-
                  yes, we kept the OEM shocks and used the extensions. They are working fine!

We too were looking to get the life we paid for, out of these new shocks. It rides great and works well.

Comment

Well, I FINALLY dropped the trans pan and installed the temp sensor... I really don't like taking brand new things apart. Especially when it is my pregnant wifes shiny new Jeep. 8-[

anyway, here's how it went.

The pan came off easily. I was a little concerned with getting the rear three 10MM head bolts out, but a shallow 10MM socket & swivel made it easier than I had hoped. I had visions of either dropping the crossmember or exhaust Y-pipe #-o

The other good news was that the pan is also removeable without removing the exhaust Y-pipe. HUGE thany you's to the Jeep engineer who had the foresight to make this possibe, I love you!!! =D>

The Exhaust w/ heat shield is seen twards the bottom right coner here:

Pan

Sensor with home made bung

bung in place to figure out where to drill the 3//8" hole

bung welded

Painted and sensor installed

pan back in!

An added bonus is the sensor hole now can be used as a drain hole too! No more cascade of ATF when the pan comes off again! \:D/ What a mess that is!! ](*,)

Thanks to ZJ_Pat for the on-call ATF tech! [-o<

I used exactly 4 quarts of ATF+4 to refill it.

The next step is to get it hooked up and see how warm this thing runs!

Comment

Awesome job Peter!

Comment

Nice job Pete. Good to see some GOOD tech on a NEW rig. Thanks.

Comment

Home-made bung! You might be able to market that little doodad, sir. Nice work.
                          Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
                          I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
                          2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

Nice job Pete!
                            Dave S. - Former NJJC Secretary
                            2011 Hard Luck Award Winner

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ Limited (4.5" RE SF, 35's, XJ D44 Rear, Locked F/R, Armored, Doorless, Caged)

Daily Driver/Hauler: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7L, Quadra-Drive II, Quadra-Lift)

Sold: 2001 XJ Limited Pavement Pounder/Cream Puff (2" BB and 30's)

Comment

Looks good!
                              -Pat

48 CJ2A, 98 ZJ 5.9L, 04 WJ

Comment

Thanks guys!

I checked it last night, after Joannas drive to and from work (30 miles total) -- NO LEAKS! \:D/

Next up is wiring up the gauge and getting the skid back on...

Comment

Working...
                                X