PROJECT - "Trail Yacht"- '08 JKU Rubi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter... That looks great.

The problem I have with my tranny (calm down guys LOL) gauge is that it starts at 150*. I wish I had gotten a different gauge starting at 100* like yours.

Comment

Well, I finally got the wiring done and the trans temp gauge is now all hooked up-- lights and all.

I had pushed to get it done while the weather was warm last week and before the road trip to the Adirondacks for New Years.

I was very surprised that the temp does not get over 100F while on the freeway. Joanna tells me she has seen it as high as 120F while driving to work. Is this normal?? It looks like we may not need to install the auxiliary cooler after all. :-k
      'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
      1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep-Power
        Well, I finally got the wiring done and the trans temp gauge is now all hooked up-- lights and all.

I had pushed to get it done while the weather was warm last week and before the road trip to the Adirondacks for New Years.

I was very surprised that the temp does not get over 100F while on the freeway. Joanna tells me she has seen it as high as 120F while driving to work. Is this normal?? It looks like we may not need to install the auxiliary cooler after all. :-k
        Peter, mine AW4 without the lines going through the engine radiator stays at I would say 130-140 without my fan on. It always makes me think the gauge isn't working. Until I put my trailer with bike on it. Then I have to leave the fan on all the time, and it sits between 150-225... (big range... my gauge sucks)

Comment

It always makes me think the gauge isn't working. Until I put my trailer with bike on it.

thanks Jay-- this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll have to wait 'till we tow something.

Does it get hotter when wheelin'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep-Power
            It always makes me think the gauge isn't working. Until I put my trailer with bike on it.

thanks Jay-- this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll have to wait 'till we tow something.

Does it get hotter when wheelin'?
            Not so far... It usually is a hair below the 150 start mark. When I'm driving around all winter without the fan on, and in the summer when I put the fan on it says around the same (no fan in the summer it will get above the 150 mark). Wheeling in the winter, I still don't even need the fan on, I do it every once in a while to be safe.

When you pull your camper, you will see it get WAY hotter then normal. I would put in an aux cooler, possibly one with a fan like I have. Because your only cooler is in the radiator, the engine temp will actually keep it from cooling too much. With my bike and trailer on it gets closer to 200. For my trans, I have verified with a ton of people with cherokees towing, that 190 is about normal.

When my factory radiator (5 spd manual radiator with no built in auto trans cooler) goes bad, I will put one in with an auto trans cooler. This way during the winter it will help warm up the trans oil.

Comment

Peter - I went back & re-read your brake line problem with the TF sway bar link. Was the original problem occurring when the link was on the outside of the mount? And with the link on the inside can it still grab a brake line? There seems to a lot of room between the line & the bolt on mine - does the link travel that much?
              Pat

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Pat-- it will not grab it now...

Yeah, it does travel up that much-- you can kind of see the point of contact at the top of the frame rail, it looks like a smear of brown in the darker black upper edge of the frame.

Comment

Just wanted to report on the trans temp--

towing up hilly country roads-- it got up to 160*F on a 72*F day

Towing home on the interstate, doing 65-70 up hills, it hit 160*F

wheeling it up a rocky hill-climb and working it hard on a 75*F day-- it hit 220*F

do I need a auxiliary cooler?? seems like a good idea for that 95*F day and wheeling hard... :-k

Comment

Got some Jeep work done last night-- got the trans cooler installed.

To quote Paratus13 from JK forum: "The one from the bottom of the cooler will go to the hose coming from the front of the Jeep (steel hose on the right). The one from the top of the cooler will go to the hose going towards the transmission (bent steel hose in photo)."

It was an easy job-- the hardest thing was deciding where to put it.

I didn't get any pics (yet) but will take a few of the finished product.

I got a little how to from this JK forum article

Comment

I just got a recall notice on my 2010 JK for transmission oil overheating and spilling onto the engine, possibly causing a fire. The Chrysler solution: update the computer to continuously chime and display a HOTOIL warning on the dash, plus an insert for the owner's manual to stop driving and let the trans cool off. WTF? Looks like a trans cooler will be in my future.

Updates on my JK posted on my Silver Brick thread (hint: anyone able to help me install a lift?)
                      Mark______________________________________________ _________
                      Silver 2010 JKUR | 4" Lift | 37" KM2 on TrailReady's | Full Skids | Winch | More...
                      facebook | youtube videos | 2017 Days Wheeling: 10 | Nights Camping: 8

"The trail was a 5+ and our rigs were rated a 1" -- Evan (LIORClub)

Comment

Yeah Mark-- kinda silly fix-- but for them it is the least expensive.

There has been alot of talk about the JK trans overheating.

This trans cooler has made an instant change in how ho the trans runs. It used to get to 140 or so by the time I got home from work-- it now barely hits 100.

I'm going to add an auxiliary fan to this cooler, that will automatically come on when the fluid gets to 180. This will be great on the trail, when there is little movement & thus little air through the cooler.

Comment

What cooler did you go with?

Comment

B&M # 70268

I go the 8" fan & 180* switch/harness/relay from ebay for about $55 shipped from THIS SELLER

Comment

towin' for the 4th

Comment

the OEM rear lower shock mounts on the JK are puzzling- they stick down like shale-bars & catch on everything-- not to mention they put the shocks well in the way of danger.

I saw this mod on JK forum & knew I'd be doing it someday.

I thought I blew one of the shocks at the last Hangover Wheelin'. well , it turned out I bent it-- even more reason for this mod.

It entails grinding off the lower shock mount & sway bar tabs and relocating them 2.5" higher(this JK has a 2.5" BB lift)), cutting off the 1.5" that hangs below the lower control arm mount & boxing it in, and sectioning 2.5" out of the sway bar link in order to make up for the higher mount.

here are before & after photos:

Comment

Working...
                                X