No announcement yet.

PROJECT - "Trail Yacht"- '08 JKU Rubi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(note: the before photos are from a 2 door JK that parks in the lot here at work)
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

Nice job Peter, but that little piece of mig wire sticking out above the lca you boxed in is really bothering my ocd.....could you wiggle it off and retake the pic for me? :)
      --Paul

Click Here To Check Me Out On Facebook!

http://www.rozzofabrication.com

Comment

Originally posted by rozzo842 View Post
        Nice job Peter, but that little piece of mig wire sticking out above the lca you boxed in is really bothering my ocd.....could you wiggle it off and retake the pic for me? :)
        Yeah, it's buggin' me too. I didn't see it until I 'developed' the photos.

Oh well-- that's what happens when welding on my back, upside down, in the dark, with a drop-light. :p

Comment

Oba

We had OBA on The Barnacle-- kinda got used to having it around & missed it on the JK. CJMike sold me a QuickAir 12V compressor & mini tank. here's what came of it.

The compressor itself has 10 gauge wire on it. The wires/connectors got warm when I was bench testing the assembly & pressure switch, and it is a long run to the battery, so some 6 gauge stranded was called in for the job. Here it is disconnected from the battery & running along the firewall harness.

coming through he firewall, just next to the brake cylinder.

Installed it all underneath the drivers seat. The pressure switch is huge, but it was all I had in stock. ;) It clicks on at 80 PSI & down, shuts off about 100 PSI. Has a separate master on/off switch (chrome toggle)

seat installed-- zero clearance issues

from the rear seat

Comment

After denting the rear OEM bumper last year at BLB, Joanna gave me the go-ahead to upgrade it. I found a used LOD bumper on JK Forum-- picked it up last week. I wanted to get it sandblasted & painted before BLB, but wire-wheeled & painted were all I had time for. I'll be getting it blasted & painted sometime in the future.

What a JK looks like with out a rear bumper:

It came from New Hampshire-- yeah, it' was a little rusty... :oops:

The previous owner had some body rubbing issues-- it looks to have been caused by the outer frame plate/template not lining up with the OEM bolt holes. It fit only by using the lower hole-- you can see how far off the upper hole is.

lined it up with the body/rear corner. I am amazed at how well this thing fits. The reveal is ideal.

I welded the outer plates in place-- in hopes to avoid the thing from shifting.

It is currently painted & drying in the garage-- hoping to get a second coat on tonight.

Comment

Nice work! I love the space saving install on the compressor.
              Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
              I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
              2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

Originally posted by 2001TJ View Post
                Nice work! I love the space saving install on the compressor.
                Yeah, I like the location of the compressor, too. I just finished fixing my MV50 after the accident we had with it during the downpour at the last RC ride (fell off the fender, landed right on the quick disc connector and broke the hose, and the electrical was intermittent). I was thinking about trying to stuff it in the rear corner behind the passenger brake light -- I saw someone did that with a Viair unit. And then stick a 2.5 gallon tank underneath. But maybe I'll do without the tank and just throw it under the seat like you did.
                Mark______________________________________________ _________
                Silver 2010 JKUR | 4" Lift | 37" KM2 on TrailReady's | Full Skids | Winch | More...
                facebook | youtube videos | 2017 Days Wheeling: 10 | Nights Camping: 8

"The trail was a 5+ and our rigs were rated a 1" -- Evan (LIORClub)

Comment

thanks guys.

mounting any compressor on the interior is less than ideal, but the seat helps keep the noise down a little. Under the hood is more comfortable, but it is then subject to more dust/dirt/water/etc. As stated-- it is nice too, because it is not in the main cargo area, taking up precious space.

I have to see how hot it gets-- adding an auxiliary cooling fan will not be difficult & I have one in stock. :D

Mark-- an auxiliary tank is great to have, no matter what the size. It really helps in taking a bit of load off the compressor. There is plenty of places to hide them on a Jeep. This compressor is rated for a 5 gallon or less tank.

Comment

I have to see how hot it gets-- adding an auxiliary cooling fan will not be difficult & I have one in stock.
                    I was wondering about this. Does all of that seat foam and fabric above it make this mod a fire hazard, or will a cooling fan eliminate that worry?
                    Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
                    I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
                    2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

fire.. I hope not. I don't think this thing can get hot enough to flash something.

It will get up to about 250*f-- so atleast it will make a nice seatwarmer int he winter. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep-Power View Post
                        fire.. I hope not. I don't think this thing can get hot enough to flash something.

It will get up to about 250*f-- so atleast it will make a nice seatwarmer int he winter. :D
                        That might be a problem. PET foam, which AFAIK is what's used in our seats, melts at about 212*F.
                        Mark______________________________________________ _________
                        Silver 2010 JKUR | 4" Lift | 37" KM2 on TrailReady's | Full Skids | Winch | More...
                        facebook | youtube videos | 2017 Days Wheeling: 10 | Nights Camping: 8

"The trail was a 5+ and our rigs were rated a 1" -- Evan (LIORClub)

Comment

If the seats of the JK are anything like the seats of CJ, YJ, TJ... There should be a huge gap where the seat risers are. This gap will be adequate for fire prevention, as it never gets in contact...

Comment

yeah-- there's atleast 2", if not more, between the pump head & the seat bottom

Comment

I am happy to report the OBA is working great with no fires to speak of.

I picked up a Warn M8000 from fellow club member Ryan-- thanks man!

It needed a full rebuild (it liked to swim & take mud-baths in a previous life ;) ), but was in excellent shape mechanically.

I am grafting it into the Rugged Ridge bumper that is currently on the TY.

Here it is-- hole cut out & working on the sub-assembly.

The plan is Hawse fairlead & synthetic cable with in-cab controls.

Comment

looks nice!!
                                Dave TVH
                                03 TJ 4.0L-TF 727-Atlas II 4.3-Solid Axle 60's 5.13 gears- locked fr&rear
                                PSC Hydro - 3 inch stretch-37" Trep Beadlocks- OBA - More
                                5 Days on the trail - 3 locations for 2018 / 11 @4 in 2017 / 6 @ 3 in 2016 /13 @ 5 in 2015 / 11 @ 4 in 2014 / 18 @ 6 in 2013 / 20 @ 5 in 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X