X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks slick, nice job!
    Dave S. - Former NJJC Secretary
    2011 Hard Luck Award Winner

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ Limited (4.5" RE SF, 35's, XJ D44 Rear, Locked F/R, Armored, Doorless, Caged)

Daily Driver/Hauler: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7L, Quadra-Drive II, Quadra-Lift)

Sold: 2001 XJ Limited Pavement Pounder/Cream Puff (2" BB and 30's)

Comment

Very nice. It looks like your mod sits lower than it would on the winch version of that bumper (which is what I have). Where are you going to put the solenoid and inside controls? Can't wait to see it all done, you might inspire me to redo mine.
      Mark______________________________________________ _________
      Silver 2010 JKUR | 4" Lift | 37" KM2 on TrailReady's | Full Skids | Winch | More...
      facebook | youtube videos | 2017 Days Wheeling: 10 | Nights Camping: 8

"The trail was a 5+ and our rigs were rated a 1" -- Evan (LIORClub)

Comment

thanks folks.

Mark-- I wanted it to sit even lower, but keeping it structurally robust enough to handle winching was going to be a challenge. The solenoid box will be mounted under the hood somewhere.
        'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
        1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

hey pete, looks good, did you get the solenoid pack working?
          05lj links, coilovers, 60's f/r my retirement hiding in there somewhere
          68 commando mice/rust

Comment

Originally posted by RyanM View Post
            hey pete, looks good, did you get the solenoid pack working?

Thanks Ryan, & thanks again for the winch!

I haven't tinkered with it , yet-- hoping to get into testing tomorrow.

Comment

winch has been mounted & tested-- all is working well.

The best place I was able to find for the solenoid box was on the drivers side of the engine bay. Yeah, it's zip-tied in. I'm not crazy about the location, but it works, for now. The positive lead to the battery can be seen snaking along the firewall.

The JK's have these grounding posts EVERYWHERE. They are great! I beefed this one up by running #2Ga gauge (greenish looking wire) from it to the battery and then ran another hunk of #2Ga down to the bottom of the winch motor, for ground.

Winch power leads waiting for the bumper, which is now in the paint dept.

The oil has been getting dirty faster than I like. So I put the stock airbox back on to see if it will give the oil a break.

Comment

looks good Pete

Comment

Looks really good
                  Mike
                  '04 TJ Clayton 3.5

Axle Performance & Offroad
                  Facebook Page

"I need a plane ticket and a Pizza" - Unnamed NJJC Member

"Whiskey and Beer are a man's worst enemies... but the man that runs away from his enemies is a coward!" -- Zeca Pagodinho (Brazilian songwriter)

Comment

The paint was dry, the kid was nappin', & the weather was 'warm', so I got it installed today.

The bumper itself is 3/16" steel. I used the cutout for the floor of the hole, and then reinforced it with a hunk of 1/4" plate. Sorry-- I totally forgot to get backside pics of the structure.

The 4 cables here are power to the winch-- the 4th (end out of photo) is the ground-- very important to have the ground cable the same size as the power cables! As you can see, I couldn't get away without adding a little diamond plate. :D

I added bracing for the foglight grilles-- they got pretty bent up. Hopefully this will help keep them in place.

I ended up removing the cross-piece above the winch line slot. It was the closest thing to the winch spool, and surely would have been rubbing hard on the winchline. A keen eye can see it missing in the bottom photo, right behind & above the fairlead.

Here it is 'done'. I still need to tailor up a cover & mount the front license plate. The in-cab controls might take a while to get around to doing.

The inside passengerside tow point mounting bolts proved to be a HUGE PITA. I ended up fully installing the thing & then pulling it all back off in order to tack-weld the lower nut the backside of the framehead. With the swaybar disconnect gear & the winch pocket now in the way, there was no way in hell my mits could get anywhere in there.

Stay tuned for an post/tech article on the DIY 3/8 Amsteel winchline!

Comment

• looks good Peter! Like how the winch is nice and low.
                      --Paul

Click Here To Check Me Out On Facebook!

http://www.rozzofabrication.com

Comment

• Looks great, Peter!
                        Dave S. - Former NJJC Secretary
                        2011 Hard Luck Award Winner

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ Limited (4.5" RE SF, 35's, XJ D44 Rear, Locked F/R, Armored, Doorless, Caged)

Daily Driver/Hauler: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7L, Quadra-Drive II, Quadra-Lift)

Sold: 2001 XJ Limited Pavement Pounder/Cream Puff (2" BB and 30's)

Comment

• Great Job and looks nice!!!!!!

Comment

• thanks guys--

I'm happy with it.

Comment

• Good job Peter! Radiator hoop?

Comment

• Originally posted by jeepdirt View Post
                                Radiator hoop?