• Show
Clear All

• Looking good, nice craftmanship.

Comment

• very nice peter
      -tom
      Originally posted by Sigmaz
      la la la ...
      We just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues because we're really smart.

ahem.. sorry about that ..

.....wheres my medicine?

Comment

• Thanks guys!

With the 'warm' & sunny & not-too-breezy weather today, I found a little time for some driveway wrenchin'.

I rebuilt & installed a new rear wheel brake cylinder on the Willys (just in time-- looks like we will have 3" - 6" on the ground tomorrow).

With the necessary stuff out of the way, I tucked into tuning the front shock length on The 'Yacht.

When the lift went in, the bumpstop extensions didn't, but the shock extensions did. This made the shocks the bumpstops (especiall the fronts). Well, after finding this out the 'hard' way, a little investigation showed I had about 2" of uptravel in the shock.

The first thing to do today was to figure out if the 8" Bilstien 5150's off The Barnacle would fir the bill, but alas, the OEM JK shocks are 8" as well.

Sooo.. with a bit of head scratching, hi-lift jacking, etc... taking 1.75" out of the front shock extensions seemed like the best course of action.

What ended up beingthe quick & easy way to get this all done & back together before the sun set was: hack the bottom 1.75" off the extension, true up the cut end onthe lathe, bore the remaining threads out of the extension, hack the top post off the shock end, weld the modified extension to the shock, and then reinstall the shock.

Here's what it looks like-- nothing to write home about, but this will help alot when I'm out in the whoops, pretending I'm dusting off Campbell at KOH. :p

the math of it all, as I start saving & shopping for new front shocks: with the shocks removed, there is 27" of room for a shock (bottom pin washer to center of bottom eye). That gives 12" of total potential travel between the bumpstops. At rideheight there is 4" of uptravel (allowing for 3/4" of bumpstop compression) with 19.75" of room for a shock. That's leaves about 15.75" collapsed. The Bilstein 5150 PN: F4-BF5-A196-H1 (10" travel shock) are looking good. It 'll require the pin conversion kit (Bilstein PN: 192228 )

In order to take advantage of the 12" of potential travel, the upper shock mounts will have to go up about 2". Has anyone seen anything on this?
        'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
        1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• Who needs shocks?
          Mike
          '04 TJ Clayton 3.5

Axle Performance & Offroad
          Facebook Page

"I need a plane ticket and a Pizza" - Unnamed NJJC Member

"Whiskey and Beer are a man's worst enemies... but the man that runs away from his enemies is a coward!" -- Zeca Pagodinho (Brazilian songwriter)

Comment

• here are couple little things that got done when I was changing the oil & putting on the MT's

I lowered the 3d brakelight. The aftermarket bumper requires raising the spare tire 3" or so. The 3d brakelight is cast into the OEM tire carrier & was sort of in the way (looking out the rear-view mirror) before. This made it unbearable.

At first I was just gonna hack the entire appendage off, but some chin scratching came up with this. I am glad I was able to re-use the OEM brake light. I didn't want to bust out the soldering iron. I can now see the cars behind me, again.

Finally got the A-Z Fab rear diff cover, LubeLocker, SS bolts & some fresh 140W synthetic fluid done. This has all been sitting on the bench since November...

welded the steering stabilizer tie rod mounts in place & removed the u-bolts & bottom hang-me-down tab. The rocks played havoc on this thing before. next step is to weld the axle bracket to the axle.

Comment

• Just 'pulled the trigger' on a set of these:

Comment

• A guy on the pine barrens trip had the bushwacker ones on his jk and he painted the top. To match the truck and left the sides black Wichita was a nice look
                -tom
                Originally posted by Sigmaz
                la la la ...
                We just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues because we're really smart.

ahem.. sorry about that ..

.....wheres my medicine?

Comment

• I love my GenRight tree bumpers.....
                  Larry Anderson - Just a quiet, little trail rig.

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

• Rember to seam seal them before paint. I have seen many bleed rust through the metal meeting areas after paint
                    Mike Barbara
                    97 TJ Custom 60's Atlas OMF Beadlocks 37 Krawlers RE Long Arm<

Comment

• Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                      I love my GenRight tree bumpers.....
                      yesssss

Originally posted by LowRedTJ View Post
                      Rember to seam seal them before paint. I have seen many bleed rust through the metal meeting areas after paint

Thanks Mike-- I was wondering about this. They are aluminum, but it can still be an issue. My buddy has a TIG-- I might just weld them up.

Comment

• Very nice. I was looking at the ACE Engineering tube fenders for my JK. $515 in bare steel for a set of 4. I'd love aluminum, but with the current state of finances, that's a luxury. With 2 kids in college, I still haven't put together the money to get my skid plates put back on, (they are too beat-up to do myself).
                        Mark______________________________________________ _________
                        Silver 2010 JKUR | 4" Lift | 37" KM2 on TrailReady's | Full Skids | Winch | More...
                        facebook | youtube videos | 2017 Days Wheeling: 10 | Nights Camping: 8

"The trail was a 5+ and our rigs were rated a 1" -- Evan (LIORClub)

Comment

• I saw the ACE flares-- nice stuff.

Lighter & rust resistant are why I went with Aluminum. Sold some other stuff to finance this purchase.

Comment

• Hope You didn't sell the Barnacle?
                            Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich69 View Post
                              Hope You didn't sell the Barnacle?

not yet.

The flares weren't THAT expensive.

Comment

• I really like the Idea of using aluminum. Great choice. Do you plan to paint them?
                                Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

Working...
                                X