PROJECT - "Trail Yacht"- '08 JKU Rubi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROJECT - "Trail Yacht"- '08 JKU Rubi

Well, I don't know if this qualifies as a 'Project Rig' just yet... I'm posting these up as documentation as what the thing looked like when it was new. :D

the rear cargo area--

The 'Cubby"-- a very nice feature. THe jack lives here too. The hatch is some sort of resin fiber board. We have the Tuffy upgrade on order.

cargo space with the rear seats folded down. They actually fold down from the front-- my long arms make it easy to do while sitting in the drivers seat. :)

rear seats up and down

mileage

half doors-- the window assemblys lift right off. Very nice!

with the top sides off

just because

looking down between the radiator and engine-- notice the oil filter is soooo easy to get to-- I've never seen one in a better location! Also notice the treaded shaft on the water pump pulley-- looks like an easy place to attach auxiliery pulleys for running a York compressor! :)

I have to say that the V-6 does a fine job of getting the Rubi moving. I'm sure the aluminum heads help :)

Rear 44-- the tubes are HUGE!

nice feature-- drainplugs on the diff housings!

fluted rear driveshaft

front high pinion D44

front drainplug, again, nice feature!

hmmmm.... no skid on the oil pan. This will be the first mod!

front output on the T-case

I'm glad to see they took care of the inverted-Y set-up on the steering. I'm wondering if this will be a popular upgrade for TJ's

nice & beefy inner knuckle

random shot of the underside-- shows front suspension

the steering box is huge-- the input and shaft and main body of it is above the frame rail. THe sector arm travels down the side of the frame (about 8") and the pitman is (weird bent thing too) below the rail.

pitman arm
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Pete--
    Sounds like you're sold on this modern stuff! Are you gonna be converted?
    Those are some really cool pics.

Were you kidding about the oil filter though?

What's the plan--wheels, lift, or some rude-boy stickers?

Comment

Seriously-- the oil filter is right there-- it will be almost fun to change.

Mods... well, first major thing will be to pay it off.

I was looking at engine/trans skids and maybe some more solid bumpers... a budget boot to bring the front end a little higher... we'll see.

Ultimately the paln is to have Joanna wheel it on the easier trails and to drive it daily. It took me about 15 years to start getting te CJ to where it is... the JK wont't take that long, but we are going to take our time. It is alot of fun to drive right now and we don't want to mess with that.

Speaking of stickers... they will ALL be coming off! (except for the Butler one :) )

Comment

Geez, I couldn't have joined at a better time!!! An almost mirror image of my Jeep in the hands of a pro. I never would have picked up on the stuff you pointed out in the pics. Second nature for you veterans, but an education for me.

I've just moved "oil pan skid" to the top of my wish list.

Thanks for the tour!
        Pat

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Sure is nice and purdy.

Major congrads to you two crazy jeepers on the new addition to the family.

Comment

Glad you got a little something out of that Pasquale!

Originally posted by Sigmaz
            Sure is nice and purdy.
            Major congrads to you two crazy jeepers on the new addition to the family.

Thanks Jon! :D

Comment

Congrats, truck looks awesome. You should be proud.

And don't look at me if your front clip goes missing..... :D
              -Erik
              #4421 Miller Motorsports
              -2012 King of the Hammers Champion-

Comment

Ahh man....After reading your post I'm ready to buy a JK !!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Ian

00 TJ, Try'n catch me ridin 30s

Comment

I don't like it... too clean. :D

The nice new interior makes me jealous. Nice place for the subwoofer too... Makes me miss my XJ.

Comment

Some might think it is crazy to change the oil on a vehicle that has only 100 mles on it... I DON'T!!! :D

I always say a new engie will make the oil look like metallic paint in no time-- well, here's what I'm talking about:

I'll be changing it again at 500 miles, then 1000, then 2000

I didn't replace the filter this time-- I will at 500.

`

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep-Power
                      Some might think it is crazy to change the oil on a vehicle that has only 100 mles on it... I DON'T!!! :D

I always say a new engie will make the oil look like metallic paint in no time-- well, here's what I'm talking about:

I'll be changing it again at 500 miles, then 1000, then 2000

I didn't replace the filter this time-- I will at 500.

`
                      Wow !!
                      Ian

00 TJ, Try'n catch me ridin 30s

Comment

nice jeep pete
                        Sean Nieves

1999 XJ stock trail rig
                        2001 XJ 4.5 zone lift 33s and some other stuff (sold)
                        2012 civic DD

Comment

CHANGING YOUR OIL

TELL ME YOU ARE JOKING

Comment

There's probably additives in the oil from the factory. We see it time to time here. It's still a good idea to change your oil ASAP when buying a new car. Even though they are in high demand that engine/oil could have been sitting well over the 3 months recommended oil change interval.
                            -Pat

48 CJ2A, 98 ZJ 5.9L, 04 WJ

Comment

Well, a few minor mods have happened, which I'll post later. The first performance enhancing mod happened yesterday.

I have been reading on Project JK forums that the stock airbox is severly restrictive. Air Raid boasts a 20 H.P. gain with their filter/intake kit! One guy just cut a huge hole in his airbox and noticed a big differnce. So after reading this months JP article about intakes, I decided to take matters into my own hands. :badgrin:

Stock setup

I went on a search for one of those aftermarket cone filters and some rubber couplers to use with a nice hunk of 3" S.S. elbow I had. Using it would require adding an additional elbow, but I figured the S.S. will look cool. 1st stop was Strauss Auto. In my opinion, this is a totally useless store, unless you are completely desperate for some sort of cheap Chinese automotive trinkets or it is 9:45PM on a weeknight and you need a fan belt or wiper blades.

Discusted with Strauss, yet again (I haven't bought a thing form there the last 4 times I have gone I there), Pep-Boys was my next destination. I bit the bullet and joined my fellow Sunday shoppers for a game of bump-n-jump on Rt. 22 though Springfield and Union. This section of road is one of my top choices for a Level 10 exercise in practicing patience. Having passed my test with flying colors, I pulled into Pep-Boys and headed in. With a little help, I found the DIY air intake section. I found a few pieces that would work with my hunk of S.S. tube (2 couplers, filter, and addtional 22 Degree elbow [chrome plated plastic, of course!]). My eye then cauge a ratty box on the bottom shelf. It had been raided of all its internal parts except for the tube, filter, and a hunk of dryer-looking hose. My quest was suddenly complete, as I convinced the clerk to sell me just the shiny aluminum tube for $20. So I got out of there for less than $50.

here's what I scored.

filter, tube and coupler(well, atleast it's package)

started by removing the stock system--

tube

airbox

removed

This is the incoming air temperature sensor -- that blue thing is a 'thermistor'-- a resistor that changes it's resistance depending on it's temperature. It is located in the air tube, right before the throttle body. Disconnecting it and running the engine will throw a engine code. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X