replied
    Joanna took it off to slow him down from taking it out anymore

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeep-Power View Post
    Still hasn't seen dirt.

Just a little maintenance tonight.

I'm pretty much knowledge-deprived about JKs, but just what maintenance includes pulling the steering wheel?

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkXJ2k View Post
    Hey Pete, I was going to show someone how you modified your bumper and the pic is missing. Any chance you can fix?
    A little late..

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Still hasn't seen dirt.

Just a little maintenance tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Rich69
    replied
    He will use it again when the Barnacle is stuck in that nice garage at some point.

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy
    replied
    Hmmmm - got it all set up to wheel: tube fenders, great tires and all, then it's back to the Mall? Maybe you should use it to tow the Barnacle, then you could trade off rigs....

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    had it out to Uwharrie NF last month-- I think it was the last time I will wheel it. It is too low, too long, too nice and just breaks too easily... compared to the Barnacle.

It still looks great though.

Last edited by Jeep-Power; 06-03-2014, 11:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Sorry mark. This is the issue with hosting photos on Facebook. I still need to transfer them over to Photobucket. There are photos in my facebook album on Jeep work. Not sure if he can access that.

[cell post]

Leave a comment:

• MarkXJ2k
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeep-Power View Post
    I am happy to report the OBA is working great with no fires to speak of.

I picked up a Warn M8000 from fellow club member Ryan-- thanks man!

It needed a full rebuild (it liked to swim & take mud-baths in a previous life ;) ), but was in excellent shape mechanically.

I am grafting it into the Rugged Ridge bumper that is currently on the TY.

Here it is-- hole cut out & working on the sub-assembly.

The plan is Hawse fairlead & synthetic cable with in-cab controls.

Hey Pete, I was going to show someone how you modified your bumper and the pic is missing. Any chance you can fix?

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    With the tries off, I also noticed that the Artec knuckle gussets interfere with the stock springs, pretty heavily. Going to have to grind them out, sooner or later... :banghead:

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366425733713.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	128657

It causes the spring to be forced out of plane.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366425756991.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	128658

Also noticed that the truss hits the frame, on both sides, at full stuff. (rusty spots towards edges of truss) The bumpstop makes contact first, but after about 3/4", the frame takes over.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366425980637.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	128659

[cell post]

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Finally got the Poison Spyder aluminum rear tube flares on. Here's what happened...

Well, this weekend is the Rausch Creek Interclub Comp and the Annual NJJC Spring Ride. So i had to put the wheeling tires on. The last ride, at The Cabin, the 35's were rubbing like crazy on the OEM Rubi rocker. It is a known issue with early JK's. The new ones come with it trimmed back, but the early models require you to do it yourself.

Welln in order to get the proper access to the area, it is best to pull the fender liners. You see where this is going?

Passenger side during

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366424255179.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	128648

Drivers side after

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366424319386.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	128649

The cut removes the bottomost spot weld. I put a couple of spot welds here, after clamping all three together.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366424393413.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	128650

I was surprised how little had to be trimmed to provide enought clearance.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366424478750.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	128651

I didn't take any pics of the progress. The steel support brackets were a PITA, but well worth the effort. They really help suck the fenders clse to the body.

The only notes i have are that the nutzert tool that Posion Spyder supplied kinda sucked. First off, the Chiawanese grade 5 bolt snapped off on the first one, IN the fawking nutzert. Luckily the Jeep gods were smiling on me and it came right out with a pair of needle nose pliers AND I had a grade 8 in stock. The other thing is that the tool provides no way of preventing the nutzert from spinning until it compresses enought to secure itself. LUCKILY i remembered how Genright's tool worked and i happened to have a 3/8 serrated nut handy. This is how I started them, and then removed the serrated nut from the stack, once the nutzert was holding on it's own. Finishing without the serrated nut gave a flatter face to the nutzert. Otherwise they protruded too much, form my liking.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366425018957.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	128652

A few shots of the finished product. I am very happy with them!

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366425197691.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	128653

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366425218430.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	128654

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366425234805.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	128655

They have to come off again for final paint, tweaking of the fender liners, and some fenderwell rust prevention.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366425255177.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	128656
    [cell post]

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Got the Michelin LTX M/X2 LT235 80 17's a few weeks ago. Cosco had the best price. Tall & skinny, just the way I like 'em.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363448506573.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	128572

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363448525354.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	128573

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363448538112.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	128574

Also beefed up the front 1/3 of the gas tank skid. This section was pushed up atleast 2", as it is at the breakover point. I cut that section out and (carefully) welded in some1/4 plate and some fancy bends to take care of that. I'm very happy how well it came out. Tested it out a few weeks ago at The Cabin. Works great!

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363448822939.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	128575

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363448841193.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	128576

[cell post]

Leave a comment:

• MarkXJ2k
    replied
    Hey Pete, just a bit of advice on the warranty nonsense.

Do some research into the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 (15 U.S.C. 2301 et. seq.). A manufacturer cannot void a warranty or service contract due to installation of third-party components, and any contract terms that so indicate may be illegal.
    No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if:

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
    (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim or it proffers a questionable explanation it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

The other thing I hear all the time is that taking your Jeep off-road voids the warranty. If a service manager ever gives you this line show them your "Trail Rated" badge and refer them to the brand mission statement: "Trail Rated vehicles are conceived, created and drive to conquer near impossible obstacles." Then whip-out your smartphone and start playing the official Jeep.com videos on their Trail Rated pages: http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabilities/trail_rated/. So unless there is obvious damage caused by abusive off-road driving, use of your vehicle consistent with activities shown on the Jeep site, including rather vigorous off-road driving, is not a reason to void your warranty.

So my first recommendation is to try to find a dealer that won't bamboozle you. I've had good luck with Dover Jeep and will soon be testing them again as my transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced. The second recommendation is that if they try to claim your diff covers, replacement suspension components or tires void your warranty, ask them to see the FTC ruling or waiver with respect to the Magnusson-Moss Act. Of course use your head; is it worth making a big deal versus just paying a few bucks. And always treat the service people with the same courtesy and respect you expect to receive in return.

FTC Article: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance
    Helpful Link: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html
    Full Law Text: http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C50.txt

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Originally posted by chris78cj7 View Post
    Nice, you keeping the bigger tires on?
    No-- we run the street tires primarily. Joanna prefers the smoother/quieter ride. Just switch them out before/after a trailride. This last trailride was on Saturday- put the KM2's on Thrusday night, took them off Sunday.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X