Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project: "Ghost Rider" (LS Powered JK Buggy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: "Ghost Rider" (LS Powered JK Buggy)

Well.... here we go....

This will be the official build thread for my buggy build. Plans are big and probably over my head... but I love a challenge.

First lets start out with a little history. As many of you know I have had my YJ for almost 10 years. I purchased it in late 1998 from a frat boy in Mt Arlington. It was a 1993, 4.0l, AX15, 231, d35c, d30, w/ 33in coopers and 3.5 inches of lift. At the time it was HUGE!!!

Here is a pic from the day after I picked it up.

My first rock crawling... Check out that flex!!!

My first major mods occur ed after blowing up 3 Dana 35c axles. This was just highway driving. Back when chrome did get me home.

This one is just to prove I did wheel in the winter...once!!!!

Some thugs I used to wheel with back in the day.

Biv, you might remember this one from down in West Milford. 35x14.50 boggers with mono leafs. Rode like a Cadillac

Here is a shot from Fall Krawl 2000 put on by OK4WD in Monticello NY.

I was actually famous before it was cool to be famous!!!

The next evolution stepped me up to a front 44 and 38.5 inch Swamper. Pete, you gotta love it. Swampers baby!!!!

Just to prove I did street drive it at one point in time.

And then the final evolution to basically where it sat up until this year.

Ry rockin' some big hair.

Well, dry your tears as the nostalgia passes you by. The YJ is completely gone now. Disassembled and sold off to fund the new project.

Let the adventure begin...
    Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Now on to the meat and potatoes.

Here is the plan for the new buggy.

Custom built tube chassis w/ JK grill, hood and skins
    1.5 inch .120 wall chromoly
    2000 Camaro LS1 325 horse all aluminum v8 (42,000 miles)
    2000 Camaro 4L60e four speed auto trans
    5.0 Atlas Short Tail Housing
    1350 series shafts
    Dana 60 Front from a 79 F350 w/full alloy shafts
    Chevy Front 60 for rear steer, full alloy shafts
    Both diffs offset to the drivers side
    4.56 gears w/spools
    14 inch x 2.5 inch Fox airshocks all the way around
    Heat treated Chromoly links w/1.25 hiems
    108 inch wheel base
    18 inch belly height
    72 inch roof height
    54 inches wide at the b-pillar
    Boatside to door bar 20 inches
    39 inch Krawlers
    Mastercraft Seats
    Baja Lowrance
    K&N RU-2510

More to come on the details of the build, but here are some pics of what I have started in the last two weeks.

I decided to build the whole chassis on a frame jig. The advantages to this are numerous. It enables me to set the jig at ride height, place my axles for wheelbase and alignment, place the motor before the chassis is built and keep everything square.

Here are some pics of the jig.

As you can see, I made the legs adjustable to allow for leveling on a sloped garage floor.

A pic of my welds

The 60's are set on there temporarily while I clean them up, but once they are fully ground of all unnecessary brackets they will be tacked welded to the jig to set wheel base and pinion angle. Here is a pic of the 60's

As you can see, I already started cleaning up the front.

More to come tonight as I will be in the shop prepping the axles.
    Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

What a beautiful montage, man. I think I cried a little... until i saw the big hair. Very nice.

Comment

I too loved the montage...

Looks like a great start. Do you have a time frame in mind? or just goin' with the flow?

Comment

I am looking forward to watching what grows on top of that frame jig. This is gonna be good!
          'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
          1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

Thanks guys... it really brought back some old memories digging up all those pics.

Not really sure on the time frame. I want to take my time with this. Do it once, do it right. I also don't want to get burnt out. I hope to have a rolling chassis by the first of the year.
            Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

The frame jig looks good, I can't wait to see the creation that will result from it!!
              Pete
              CJ 5.75

Comment

Nice history and looking forward to the build.

Aluminum links w/hiems
                As in long arms? Don't quite follow what this is. The rest sounds stout enough.
                Dan M.
                Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                48 days on trail in 2012!
                '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

Well... it was like Christmas in the shop today. The tube showed up. Here is a pic....luckily I had built a rack in my basement to accommodate it earlier in the week. Started with 10 sticks of the 1.5 inch chromoly and a few sticks of DOM for seat tubes and non-structural pieces.

While I was unloading the tube, UPS showed up with my wheels.

KMC 17 inch with 5.75 inch backspacing.

I was concerned with the clearance of the wheel and the brake caliper as the stock caliper brackets on the 79 f350's are huge to handle the big dual piston calipers. Tolerances are tight, but they should work.

As you can see below, the stock steering will not work with the heavy backspacing of these wheels. Not a problem as it will be receiving some high steer arms and dedenbear knuckles soon.

My other concern was hub clearance. With a heavy backspaced wheel, the hub will stick out further into the rocks. the hub only hangs out about an inch and after I switch it over to drive flanges it should only protrude beyond the wheel about 1/4 inch.

The wheels look pretty bling. I might have to start mounting my krawlers up on them tonight. They also sent these nice covers with them as well. KMC wheels are pretty impressive so far.

Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by warthog_cj7
                    Nice history and looking forward to the build.

Aluminum links w/hiems
                    As in long arms? Don't quite follow what this is. The rest sounds stout enough.
                    Dan you hit the nail on the head. The lower control arms will all be aluminum.
                    Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

Looks like a GREAT start Kev. I look foward to all the updates. Give a shout if you need a hand or just someone to make fun of while you are working.

Comment

Kev...great to see everything moving forward. Let me know if you ever need an extra hand. I might have to stop up and check it out.

Ry's hair was AWESOME!! He should totally bring it back.

Sweet bug shield!
                        --Nick--

'02 TJ
                        '13 JKU

Comment

Nice rims its a good start...glad to see you got the jig together

Comment

Awesome Kev! Can't wait to see this come together!

Comment

Making progress I see. Can't wait to see the progress pic's. Need anything just ask. Now start building.

Comment

Working...
                              X