Project 2nd Hand YJ build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 2nd Hand YJ build

Picked up another YJ. 89 4.2l ax15. Immediate issues are rust rust more rust, rusted brake lines, rusted lines on the clutch slave cylinder. I had 2.5" lift springs which I'm installing , and 1"daystar bodylift. Scored a 4.10 dana 30 with a Spartan locker, and an open diff 4.10 8.8. Front axle is in, working on the rear, will drop the fuel tank and get the frame Safe T Caps welded in. One patch on the front frame rail, and driverside floors. The motor is a mishmash of a 4.0 block and 4.2 head. One day I'll swap in a 4.0 and aw4. Future specs will be locked front and rear. SYE, armor, cage, tube fenders and 35s.
    Jeremy Zuber ...59 CJ5 resurrection, 97 TJ 4 banger mall crawler

8.8 with new perches welded in and new lift springs bolts on. When the snow melts I can hopefully get the d35 out and start the frame repair.

Comment

Nice!
      Larry Anderson - Just a quiet, little trail rig.

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

Decided with the snow on the ground in not ready to try and remove the d35. So I cut back the carpet and removed the step. Time for a tub swap. Luckily I know where one is, and club members are the best! Bonus is tackling the slave cylinder, and welding the frame patches will be much easier without a body in the way. I might run the new hard brake lines also . Anyone want to swap a tub and weld on a frame? Need a sport style roll bar? Lol

Comment

How bad is the frame? Might be better off using the frame Dan has. Leave that frame and tub together and start swapping parts over to the new frame?
          Pete
          CJ 5.75

Comment

It has a couple bad spots. I'll have to talk to Dan at the next meeting. But I am on a tight budget so the Safe T caps I have might have to make due for now. Your the 2nd person to suggest that. I was trying to save the frame swap for when i had the 4.0 ready to go.

Comment

Frame swaps are a big job, i did it on the CJ years ago. Since your already looking at swapping axles and it sounds like you may be swapping the tub, in the long run its probably cheaper and will be much easier to put these parts on the new frame. Bigger investment now but will pay off later.
              Pete
              CJ 5.75

Comment

I already have the axles, front is in, rear is ready to go. I also have a complete hard brake line kit, and looking at fuel lines now. I already did new body bushings so I know the old jeep will come apart. For me it's more about getting old off property because of town ordinance. With some help I should be able to have a roller in a day, and a complete "looking" jeep in a weekend. I'll still have weeks of work to do, but I'm looking at a cherokee 4.0/aw4/np231 with sye. I'll know I'll have some electrical issues to workout. old YJ to cherokee adaptations. I have time, it's just space.

Comment

Electrical to make the 4.0 run in 4.2 place is easy. Just need the 3 basic wires; Constant hot, Accessory, and Start.

Just make sure you get the Full engine harness with CPU with the 4.0, else will be a bear. If can get wiring harness at least a foot of on the inside of firewall/cabin side will give you a clean firewall transfer.

Also save the plates on sides of 4.2 for mounts to the engine, you can re-use on the 4.0 and still upgrade to 4.0 motor bushings.
                  Dan M.
                  Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                  48 days on trail in 2012!
                  '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                  '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Tear down commencing. Grabbed a bunch of baggies to keep stuff organized. I don't want to waste anytime during the building process

Comment

Made some removal progress. Tomorrow I'm shooting for the rest of the interior, fenders, and label the old wiring harness.

Comment

And the teardown is complete. I broke a few things, but hopefully I'll find the parts as I need them.

Comment

Easter morning blessing! Thank you Dan for the frame. Now to start building one bolt at a time!

Comment

Cool, looking forward to the progress pics.
                              Just saw your pic of the pile. Like Ryan said long ago, just throwing away your Jeep one dustpan at a time.. As they're always leaving stuff to clean up..
                              Dan M.
                              Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                              48 days on trail in 2012!
                              '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                              '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

Working...
                              X