07 JK Unlimited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 JK Unlimited

Life changes very quickly!!! So have my priorities. After racing a full schedule for almost a year now with the MM crew, I've decided building my own race car is not what I'm looking to do. With that said, I have decided to part out the buggy and build an all around wheeler, driver, tow rig, cruiser. After wheeling Eriks JKU in Moab this year, I fell in love with the capabilities of the platform. Being able to wheel some of the hardest trails in Moab for a full week and then turn around and take 5 people to the bar at night really impressed me. So upon returning from the last race I sold my pickup and purchased a 2007 JK unlimited.

I purchased this Jeep from a rebuildable salvage yard near Roanoke, VA. Its a 2007 six speed Sahara with 107,000 miles on it. I was specifically looking for a higher mileage vehicle because an engine swap is already in the plan. As you can see in the picture below the Jeep was involved in a drivers front corner impact, with the majority of the hit taking out the front axle.

It must have hit a stump or guard rail because it tore off the lower control arm which pushed the axle back causing the shock to break, the spring to unseat and the driveshaft was pushed into the t-case causing it to split in half.

So, that leads me to the build. My goal is to have a high end wheeler that can handle many of the harder trails around the country while being extremely comfortable to drive. I want to be able to do 80 miles an hour with it on the road with excellent handling and driveability. I also wanted something that can handle light duty towing as I no longer have a pickup and want to purchase a boat next summer. Sounds like a tall order...right??

The build will consist of an immediate axle swap. I was able to pickup a set of brand new Currie bolt in JK housings with every available option.

The axles are 9in center chunks, fully braced and trussed to Dana 60 ball joint outers. The rear is a low pinion 35 spline ARB with 5.29 gears with chromoly shafts and reuses all of the factory JK brakes to maintain full use of the speed sensors, tone rings and emergency brakes. The front is a high pinion currie third member with a detroit, 5.29 gears, chromoly axles with dana 60 joints and locking hubs. It uses a new larger rotor with the factory JK brakes. Also included with the axle is the full steering setup I need to get the housing under the truck.

After the axle swap the plan is to get the truck registered and clear the salvage title. Once the title is free and clear, it will get somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 inches of lift, tube fenders and somewhere between 37 and 40 inch tires. My altas II is going in right now as it will bolt to the back of the JK trans to replace the split factory case. Once all that is done and I'm happy with the ride and performance the engine will be swapped out for my LS1 which is being pirated from my buggy project.

I'm really excited about how well this project is coming together. Parts are being ordered and showing up daily. I hope to have this running and registered sometime in the fall. I'm really looking forward to having something I can drive on the street. As for the buggy...the motor, trans and t-case are obviously all being used. The rest of the parts including the chassis are all going up for sale shortly. If you have anything you are interested in let me know.
    Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

If you want good ideas look up project rattle trap it's sounds like its close to what you want to do

Comment

I'm familiar with Rattle trap. I actually saw it in person when I was in Moab this year. That truck is a bit over the top for me. I'm looking for something much more streetable and much less attention grabbing. Want to stay low key with this one while having a lot of great parts and performance.
      Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

Sounds like a great project. Enjoy the build.

Comment

Good to see you back building something the colors good

Misspelled from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
          -tom
          Originally posted by Sigmaz
          la la la ...
          We just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues because we're really smart.

ahem.. sorry about that ..

.....wheres my medicine?

Comment

Very cool Kevin- hit me up when need a pair of hands and strong back- right across the road here...x2 on the color.
            Doug Thornton

99 TJ

Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

Nice build... looks pretty planned out and building with nice parts!!!! keep the pics rolling,.
              Chris

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee
              5.7 hemi
              Quadra drive 2

Comment

What's the plan for the interior? Cage? New seating? Keeping it "civilized"?
                Pat

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Comment

wow.

I love it.

I am sad to hear the dualie is gone, but it makes sense.

Glad to hear we'll have some more company in the non-trailering corner! ;)
                  'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
                  1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

Kev good to see everything is moving foward. After talking to you about this it makes me want to do one also.

Comment

Originally posted by sho_92 View Post
                      After talking to you about this it makes me want to do one also.
                      Talking with Kevin will do that! ;)
                      'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
                      1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

sounds pretty cool, but I'm curious about your lockers. Why put the ARB in the back, and the Detroit in the front? Don't you want the selectable in the front?
                        Larry Anderson - Just a quiet, little trail rig.

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm really happy with the color. It actually what I was going to paint my buggy.

The interior will be last. I want it to be very civilized, but also have all the creature comforts including heat/AC, stereo, Nav, etc. But there will be a very subtle cage at some point. Safety focused but not sacrificing appearance.

Yeah, sucks the Dually is gone, but I just wasn't using it. Sitting was cause it to fall apart so I was glad to be able to unload it to Robby. Still will have plenty of options to find its place on a trailer, but the Jeep will be very capable on the highway. Hopefully with the deep gearing, long wheelbase and LS motor it handles towing duties just as well.

As for the front locker choice...the detroit was not ideal, but what was already in the thirdmember I bought. The locking hubs should make it very manageable, but long term the detroit will probably be swapped out for a matching ARB.
                          Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

How did you find this Jeep?
                            Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

Searched "rebuildables" and "repairables" on google. This is the second rebuildable/repairable I have purchased. There are salvage yards all over the country that specialize in these types of vehicles. The first one I bought was a 5.9 Grand that I wanted the motor out of. That eventually ended up in a TJ that Kosinski built. I made money on that part out after selling the motor.
                              Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

Working...
                              X