Project - CJ 5.75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project - CJ 5.75

Most of you in the club have seen my CJ5 but starting last summer some major life changes have left my Jeep in a un-maintained state with a broken fuel pump. At the beginning of winter I finished a rehab/expansion project on my new to me garage and pushed the beaten down Jeep into the garage to start tearing into it. During the time when the Jeep sat outside and I had plenty of time contemplate what I wanted to do to it the plans grew a little out of control but I decided to plow forward and start the deconstruction and then proceed with reconstruction.

I am not one to usually stop forward progress to snap pictures but I have made an attempt this time to do that and now that I am into this I decided to start a thread and share my progress.

For a teaser I'll describe the plan first and add what I have for pics later tonight.

The plan:
    New suspension, 3 link front and rear with coilovers.
    Dana 60s front and rear, 35 spline semi float rear, 35 spline front with high steer, 4.88 gears.
    Most of the body and interior of the jeep will need to be rebuilt.
    Some minor trimming and cutting of the frame to clear new suspension.
    Custom fuel tank.
    Attempt to mount spare tire in the rear of the jeep instead of hanging off the back.
    Going to 37" tires, brand is still unknown, mounted on rock monster beadlocks.

I was hoping to have this done by spring but its fast approaching and I have been working way to much the last 6-8 months which has really hindered progress but I am making attempts to get back at it. Maybe this thread will push me to move faster.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 04-10-2014, 12:26 AM.
    Pete
    CJ 5.75

Nice looking forward to seeing how you have transformed it.
    Work is always getting in the way...
    Dan M.
    Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
    48 days on trail in 2012!
    '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
    '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

Very cool
      Doug Thornton

99 TJ

Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

So here we go, these first couple pics are of the jeep looking sad in the in the old garage. New garage is finished.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; 12-22-2015, 08:40 AM. Reason: Added pics
        Pete
        CJ 5.75

Comment

That's why your shop is SO clean... I was really impressed when I picked up the Waggy 44... ;)
          Doug Thornton

99 TJ

Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

Its not as clean anymore but its not dirty by any means either.

Here are some pics of the rear suspension mostly mocked up. Just missing the track bar.
            Attached Files
            Pete
            CJ 5.75

Comment

And here is what happens when the rear frame rails are in the way!
              Attached Files
              Pete
              CJ 5.75

Comment

Since I have no rails in the back anymore I need to add something back to connect the rear cage and mount everything to again. This is what I came up with, picked up a tube bender and started with these two tubes. Came out decent, should work well and the jeep had dropped some weight, the rear section of frame had to be almost 200 pounds. That isn't a factory CJ frame, its a Matkins extreme 1/4 wall 2x4 box tubing. Super strong but heavy!
                Attached Files
                Pete
                CJ 5.75

Comment

That's all I have for now. I'll be hitting the Jeep hard tomorrow night and Saturday, I have a ton of work to do!!! Hopefully i can get the rear of the jeep in a good place then I have to go prep for the track day season opener at Limerock. WHOO HOOOO!!!
                  Pete
                  CJ 5.75

Comment

Any reason for not doing a triangulated 4link in the back and ditching the trac bar

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
                    -tom
                    Originally posted by Sigmaz
                    la la la ...
                    We just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues because we're really smart.

ahem.. sorry about that ..

.....wheres my medicine?

Comment

Very nice Pete, good progress man! Bender...I'm jealous

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                      Doug Thornton

99 TJ

Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

Lovinv the tube work.

You weld over that floor? what are the tiles made out of?
                        'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
                        1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

Nice progress.
                          x2 on welding on that floor?
                          Cuttin that rear section off would definately be a good diet!

What's on the other rack missing the front axle?
                          Dan M.
                          Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                          48 days on trail in 2012!
                          '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                          '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

Thanks Doug, that was my first shot at bending other than a 90* bend to use as a template. Its a fun tool to have around and will see plenty of use in the future for sure.

Yup I weld over that floor. I TIG weld almost everything so I don't have all the sparks flying like a MIG. I did pick up a small MIG for some jobs and I will be covering the floor when I use it. The tiles are made of PVC and are not dented by jacks or tires. I can replace them as needed when I destroy them and they clean up very nice with a mop and a little simple green. The best part is that they are not cold like the concrete.

No triangulated 4 link. I know everyone does it and it works but I have decided to go 3 link instead. Its a little harder to package up with that track bar in the way but I am determined to make it work, even if I have to cut the frame apart. :)
                            Pete
                            CJ 5.75

Comment

Originally posted by warthog_cj7 View Post
                              What's on the other rack missing the front axle?
                              Thanks Dan.

Welding on that floor has been ok so far. I will take precautions when MIG welding for sure.

That's a 65 mustang fastback that is sitting on a chassis table. That is next on the chopping block. I started tearing into that first but want to finish the Jeep first since the car is a long term project. It was restored 20 years ago and I am going to rebuild it into a full on pro touring machine complete with a custom chassis and suspension.
                              Pete
                              CJ 5.75

Comment

Working...
                              X