• Show
Clear All

• The ARB's arrived today! \:D/
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• Get out that case spreader!
      Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
      I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
      2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

• in the 15 MPH 35'F weather, I scrubbed clean the housings today. The hose is tapped into the hot water line, which helped alot. :D

Ivey helped me move the frame. It now sits in front of the garage, awaiting the removal of uneeded brackets and such. After the grinding is done, everything moves into the garage for mock-up!

The garage heater is going to be very-much appreciated this year. :D

Comment

• A quick note-

I had a TERRIBLE shimmy at speed-- at 65-70 it was like getting a massage. Not bad, but not a great driving experience. Other drivers could defintly see the thing shhakin' down the rosd.

I went and balanced the tires today-- the one front was 29 oz. out! #-o

As I figured out where the weight was being estimated to go, I noticed that the 16 oz was directly opposite the mark. I peeled the 16 oz. off (stick-on lead) and tried it again. It only wanted 15 oz. then! :D

Upon further inspection, the tire has lost the most lugs in the new weight's spot.

The Barnacle is back to cruzin' in style. Now if I can just get that heat to work better...

Comment

• Finally got back on it... the frame is stripped of the spring hangers, track bar mounts, front shock towers, and rear cross member.

I will be drilling the main eye bolt holes out to 5/8" and reinforcing the mounts, then relocating them approx. 2" further out on each end. This will extend the wheelbase approx. 4".

The last piece of the puzzle has been found-- I ordered the NV4500 today. 'Found a deal on Pirate! \:D/

Comment

• Glad to see you found the Trans! Good luck. Thanks for the update

Comment

• NV 4500

PETE: Glad to see you found an NV 4500. My source never got back to me so I gave up pestering him. Sad truth is that it's sitting in his garage and he will never use it..... I'll keep trying for the next guy that needs one. If you are getting that frame sandblasted there is a guy in Piscataway that will do it cheap......

Comment

• 225 lbs of 1 ton pleasure came in today! \:D/

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeep-Power
                    225 lbs of 1 ton pleasure came in today! \:D/

Oh wow!!! Free hand throttle!!! Nice score!!!

Comment

• Input shaft

Pete I guess you are going to need to change the input shaft to match the Jeep?

Comment

• This one was built for a Jeep I-6, so it has the D300 Dodge tailhousing and the shorter Chevy input shaft that works with the AA bellhousing-- I have that too.

yeah-- the hand throttle and shifter are gravy! :)

Comment

• NV4500

That's a nice box to use. I should have gone that route and still might. Although it is smaller it is still pleanty strong for use behind one of my 401's. My buddy never called me back about his but one of these days out of the blue he will calland say " I got a trans for you " then I might swap. In the mean time I am going to use the GIGANTIC one already installed. The benefit for using the nv4500 is that is is a lot shorter and I can run a longer rear drive shaft.

Can you measure yours fron the bellhousing mating surface to the transfer case adapter?

Comment

• Joe-- it is 18.75" long-- including the t-case adapter.

Comment

• LENGTH

THANKS PETER. That's good information. I am going to measure mine tonight. I bet I could gain 10 inches in the drive shaft by switching to the NV 4500. My present driveshaft is only 17 inches long.

Comment

• Nice!!

I was looking into a NV4500 before I found the NP435 I got from Rob/Neil

I read up on it quite a bit and I found somthing interesting at novak.. They seem to have thier own opinions..

check it out..

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv4500.htm

I dont necassarily agree with them at all.
                                But I do find the push to popularity aspect of the 4500 interesting.

Ahhh, Whaddo they know anyway?!
                                Reguardless of what they say I still think you scored!

Comment

Working...
                                X