No announcement yet.

~ The Barnacle ~ [CJ-7]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about teasin... I was lookin forward to seeing some good fabrication pics or someting....
    Dan M.
    Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
    48 days on trail in 2012!
    '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
    '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

• Pete, I am sad to say that married, with house and kid(s) the projects will never end! #-o

There will always be something to work on! And if an old timer ever tells you it gets easier as you get older, they lied!!!! They just want you to get old like them!

That is some great work. Nice and neat. Good luck and fortune as you move further in your projects!

Comment

• Originally posted by warthog_cj7
        Talk about teasin... I was lookin forward to seeing some good fabrication pics or someting....
        they're there-- you just have to click on the links ;)
        'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
        1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• something very strange happened on Sunday..

I got some time in on it! \:D/

Got the rear hub/rotor assembles together.

I ended up using the 1/2" wheel studs (napa PN- 641-3119)and rotors from the front axle. This required drilling the hub stud holes out to 5/8".

shot of the brake mounting parameters... :-k

I forgot to mention, that I have all the needed 35 spline shafts (2nd rear not shown)-- 4340 baby! Thanks to barter-work with T-bird & Mikey B and of course Doug at Extreme Axle!!! =D>

Also got the D300 brace smoothed & fit.

hopefully it will not be another 3 months wait for the next installment. ;)

Comment

• Nice work. I was hoping you were gonna work on it again. It started to look like a work bench rather than a build. :D
            Mike
            '04 TJ Clayton 3.5

Axle Performance & Offroad
            Facebook Page

"I need a plane ticket and a Pizza" - Unnamed NJJC Member

"Whiskey and Beer are a man's worst enemies... but the man that runs away from his enemies is a coward!" -- Zeca Pagodinho (Brazilian songwriter)

Comment

• got a bunch of stuff crossed off the list the past week or so. It is weird not having to trip over all of these parts anymore.

The PSC hydro-assist kit is roughed in.

It might get a dimple die or two-- atleast a set of speedholes. :)

Got the 4.0 OBD1 flywheel on & the new Centerforce clutch installed. Waiting on a new throwout bearing & the NV4500 is ready to go in.

That is a whole lotta' transmission...

The front hubs & rotors are on. I have to figure out the brake calipers-- the Dodge's are too narrow to fit the thicker Chevy rotors. The axleshafts will go in later, after the housing is finish-welded & painted.

For those keeping track at home: Front WMS: 65.5", Rear WMS: 62.75", Wheelbase: 99"

The body will be set on the frame in the next few weeks, so that I can get an idea of ride-height/spring setup. Wanna help, please?

Comment

• Pete, steering looks great. Why did you go with chevy rotors? Also, I'm surprised you are not 4 linking the rear. No would be the perfect time for a better ride and more flex. Just thinking out loud.
                Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeep-Power View Post

hopefully it will not be another 3 months wait for the next installment. ;)
                  You beat your deadline by 6 days!

Nice job so far, Peter!
                  Dave S. - Former NJJC Secretary
                  2011 Hard Luck Award Winner

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ Limited (4.5" RE SF, 35's, XJ D44 Rear, Locked F/R, Armored, Doorless, Caged)

Daily Driver/Hauler: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7L, Quadra-Drive II, Quadra-Lift)

Sold: 2001 XJ Limited Pavement Pounder/Cream Puff (2" BB and 30's)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kledder View Post
                    Pete, steering looks great. Why did you go with chevy rotors? Also, I'm surprised you are not 4 linking the rear. No would be the perfect time for a better ride and more flex. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks Kevin. I hope it works! The steering box may have to be moved/clocked a bit forward to keep the tie-rod from interfering with the axle-- time will tell with that.

I went with the Chevy hubs, so that I can have internal licking hubs. It seemed like a good idea. Now I'm wondering what I'm gonna do about brakes. I might have to put these thick rotors on the rear & put the old dodge rotors on the Chevy hubs... what do you think.

As far as the springs-- I don't want to go linked, not yet. I've never run SOA, and I want to know what it is like.

You beat your deadline by 6 days!
                    Dave-- yeah, time flies. It seems the trend has been the three month plan. ;)

Comment

• I would give it a shot with the dodge rotors on the chevy hubs. Not sure if it will work, but its worth a shot. I will say that having run spring under, over and a linked suspension, Spring over would be my last choice now. The rear is really simple to 4 link and the cost should be minimal.
                      Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

• let me know when you are planning on mounting the body and i will try to come and help
                        Cj7.5

Comment

• depending on when your mounting the body & my schedule

i'm willing to help

pete --> good luck with your plan
                          L J Pete

JEEPIN
                          "It's not getting older...It's getting newer part by part..."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
                          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• had a great day on this project yesterday-- put the tires on & got it outside, for a little sun (& rain). :D

Comment

• Having the assembly out of the garage allowed me to fit the rear axle shafts in (the garage is too narrow to allow room for me to slide them in)

They were a bit too long, so I had to trim some off each of them. The drivers side was trimmed 1.25" & the passenger side was trimmed 2".

Comment

• looking good.. I would rethink the four link rear.. with your barter skills you should be into for nothing. The low gearing of that trans is gonna make that thing the wrap master 5000.

I had the NP435 and the truck never put down power without hoping. I have never seen a leaf spring rear with a granny tranny not hop like crazy.

I owe ya a few brackets for all your RC Crawler work. :) Nows the time.. Check out Barnes 4wd.com
                                Robert Kosinski
                                http://robertkosinski.zenfolio.com/
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/rocksteadyrobk

Comment

Working...
                                X