~ The Barnacle ~ [CJ-7]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pasquale View Post
    can you explain how the upper & lower control arms *won't* hit each other down by where they attach to the center behind the skid when the rear is flexing on one side?
    Pat- keep in mind that they are both attached to the axle and therefore move up & down *roughly* the same amount at that end of things. Therefore they keep their distance from each other-- in the range of motion that this suspension will allow. If the axle was allowed to travel more up & down, then yes, they would hit each other. Ideally, bumpstops will stop it on compression and the fully expaned spring will stop it at full droop. Getting the correct shock, and it's placement, that will allow for said travel will be another thing to figure out,

With my setup, what 'hits' first is the lower control arm on the frame, about half way up the upward bend of the rear frame arch. I am not terribly concerned about it, because it looks like the spring will be fully compressed before it gets to that point.
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• Pete, what are you planning on using for bump stops. Anything, Rubber, Air????
      Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

• Originally posted by Kledder View Post
        Pete, what are you planning on using for bump stops. Anything, Rubber, Air????
        I don't know. For the front, I'll probably use the OEM rubber, unless something better turns up.

On the rear-- I guess some sort of OEM TJ setup.

Those air bumps are kinda cool, but pricey. Is it Teraflex who makes that more-affordable piston-style urethane bump stop?

What are you thinking?

I was laying out the upper spring buckets last night-- it looks like there will be about 4" between the spring pads at full compression (when the lower link hits the frame). I figure that is less space than the spring will occupy.

Comment

• I'm thinking DOM tubing and stock rubber bumps.
          Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
          I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
          2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

• Originally posted by 2001TJ View Post
            I'm thinking DOM tubing and stock rubber bumps.
            Definetly the cheapest and most effective solution. With that said air bumps are way sexy and plush!!!
            Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

• The front lower link crossmember-- it has a removable section to allow for easier removal of the T-case. It slides in from the rear.

Comment

• Suspended!

'got the upper spring mounts in-- had to graph them into the frame-- they will be fully-welded in to restore any lost rigidity.

from the rear

The springs are just sitting there-- gravity is holding them in place.

I put the rear wheels back on & am ready to start fitting the body. Woohoo!

Comment

• Spray that bare metal down with WD-40. As long as its coated it won't rust at all. When you are prepping to weld just spray with brake clean (Non-Chlorinated) and go to town.

Also you may want to think about having the lower link mounts capture more of the xmember for more weld area. From the pic it looks minimal at best but that may be the angle. Otherwise, Looking good Peter. Glad to see this is moving along.
                  -Erik
                  #4421 Miller Motorsports
                  -2012 King of the Hammers Champion-

Comment

• Are those the stock rears from jeremy the other night or the beefy 4" rear springs?

Looking Good Pete!
                    L J Pete

JEEPIN
                    "It's not getting older...It's getting newer part by part..."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
                    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Erik- Sweet- thanks for the tip-- I was wonddering what I could do about the flash rust. The mounts are gonna get a bit more bracing-- they are kinda hanging out in space right now, huh? ;)

Pete-- yeah, those are the stockers-- they were thrown in because they were sitting right there- the 2.5" springs were across the garage...

Comment

• so Jamie V. & I were chatting the other week & the next thing I know he is saying to me "I am coming over to help you work on your Jeep".

needless to say, Jamie was the driving force behind the whole day-

We started around 11 AM. First thing was to get the body settled better on the frame. Some sawzall action around the transmission helped there.

We then tucked into moving the rear axle forward. I was not happy with the idea of having to comp-cut the rear fenders. The wheelbase was at 103+, so we cut 2" out of the lower mounts & moved the uppers 2" forward. Ideally it now sits around 101".
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	185893_10150112056579035_762506_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	128477

It was about this time that Jamie gets a call from Lucas. Lucas was on his way over as well!

Lucas helped us finish up the axle relocation & we broke for lunch-- Joanna had cooked us some yuca fries, tostones, & wings. MMMM.

During lunch I texted $2Bill & invited him to join the party. The next thing we know Lucas & Blill are dealing with a long-standing issue Bill had with the rear passenger shackle. Dana stopped by to check on the progress. ;)

Name:	183354_10150112057154035_1839994_n.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	128481

Jamie & I then got into completing the trusswork on the axle.

Name:	190713_10150112057419035_615944_n.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	128478

Name:	188809_10150112057824035_884544_n.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	128479

Name:	189071_10150112058399035_4778114_n.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	128480

It was all wrapped up by 9PM or so, with Bill & I rolling the chassis back into the garage. The axle is fully welded in, as well as the links.

The next step is to brace all the upper frame mounts , weld them in, & clean & paint the frame.

Comment

• Looks good
                          Mike
                          '04 TJ Clayton 3.5

Axle Performance & Offroad
                          Facebook Page

"I need a plane ticket and a Pizza" - Unnamed NJJC Member

"Whiskey and Beer are a man's worst enemies... but the man that runs away from his enemies is a coward!" -- Zeca Pagodinho (Brazilian songwriter)

Comment

• Nice! Good to see Jamie pushing ya... lol
                            Dan M.
                            Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                            48 days on trail in 2012!
                            '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                            '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

• Originally posted by warthog_cj7 View Post
                              Nice! Good to see Jamie pushing ya... lol
                              seriously-- I needed it!

Comment

• look's great, about time you updated the thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X