No announcement yet.

~ The Barnacle ~ [CJ-7]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am REALLY on the fence as to weather or not I should truss the long side of the front axle.

Opinions please???
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• Please forgive my ignorance, but what the heck is that Batman turbine exhaust vent thing on top of the truss?
      Larry Anderson - Just a quiet, little trail rig.

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

• I think they are the mounts for the links
        ALEX ORTIZ

Comment

• Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
          Please forgive my ignorance, but what the heck is that Batman turbine exhaust vent thing on top of the truss?
          hahahaha!

what Alex said.... :)

Comment

• I thought maybe you were working some kind of ram air into the fuel cell or something....

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

• If you have any thoughts of doing it, now would be the time. Unless you are racing/jumping it, you are probably not going to bend it, but if I were you I would do it.
              Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

• Go ahead and add em. Better safe than sorry and something to not have to think about later.
                Dan M.
                Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                48 days on trail in 2012!
                '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

• Originally posted by Kledder View Post
                  If you have any thoughts of doing it, now would be the time. Unless you are racing/jumping it, you are probably not going to bend it, but if I were you I would do it.

Originally posted by warthog_cj7 View Post
                  Go ahead and add em. Better safe than sorry and something to not have to think about later.

these are the thoughts I keep having too.

Gonna try to keep it simple. (HAHA!)

I'm thinking something welded to drivers side of the pumpkin across to the spring perch. Then graph the ram assist mount into that. I will be a 3 piece boxed construction- lay the top in first and then fit the sides to match the profile.

Comment

• I would skip it for now, you haven't had this thing on the trail in so long. Just get it done! Don't make it more complex then you have to. Get it back on the road and then periodically plan to make upgrades. I suspect your gonna like the rear links and decide to link the front, if so do it then. If not how long does it take to pull an axle 2 hrs? its not like you will have 20 hrs of additional work if you don't do it now.

You don't want to leave the body out in the front yard any longer than you have too if your neighbors complain the men in blue will come to visit you. I have a story about a white 79 CJ. Its body came off for a restoration and was stored in the front yard. I will have to post some pics and tell the story.
                    Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

• Great Point... you are going to end up linking the front. Don't even bother trussing it until you link it . The leaf springs are going to make trussing it a nightmare.
                      Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

• Originally posted by Kledder View Post
                        Great Point... you are going to end up linking the front. Don't even bother trussing it until you link it . The leaf springs are going to make trussing it a nightmare.
                        And if you truss it now then decide to link it your truss design may end up being totally different and removing or modifying the one you build now may be more of a pain later on. Put it together already and put some efforts into the turbo!!
                        Pete
                        CJ 5.75

Comment

• Let's see some rubber on the road!

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

• Ok. No truss.

Focus.... I am speed!

cell post

Comment

• Your doing great!! Remember the end of Star Wars? "Stay on Target"
                              Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeep-Power View Post
                                Focus.... I am speed!
                                yeah, but WHAT speed? I want to see this thing on the TRAIL!

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

Working...
                                X