X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Front U - bolt flip kit for the CJ

Thanks guys!

Front U - bolt flip kit for the CJ

Well, it was all about millin', drillin', turnin', cuttin', weldin', grindin' & paintin' for me on Wednesday. #-o It took about all day and then a little more to get these things done. ](*,)

You see, unfortunately there isn't (to my understanding) a flipped U-bolt kit for the CJ front end. Dan Machen was kind enough to let me in on the deal he got for his U-bolts. Thanks Dan! As seen in his posting of his job, all the parts have to be DIY. I already have the Rock Equipment flipped U-bolt setup on the rear of my CJ. I copied what they supplied in that kit. I like Dans' setup a little better, as his lower plates actually guard the U-bolts-- I'll have to see how mine hold up...

Here's the mill/drill-- I have fabricated up a speed reduction system with a few extra sheaves I had around.You can see the spindle speeds on the belt guard-- nice and slow. It is a nice old Delta/Milwaukee drill press.

One of the $99 X - Y tables from MSC-- with a little tuning of the gibes and cranks, it works like the bigboys! This thing is worth it's weight...

Rough milling out the lower U-bolt plates for the inverted U-bolt setup. That is a 3/8" 4 edge carbide end mill.

I didn't have a round nose end mill handy, and the supply store close 5 minutes before I got there ](*,) - so I made do with this 1/2" burr. It worked alittle slowly, but did a great job.

Done! -- I made two of these. Again, this is almost exactly what the Rock Equipment lower plates look like. Their function is to hold the bottom end of the U-bolts in place. the big hole in the center fits over the leaf spring centering pin nut. This then holds the plate in place.

Drilling out the top plates-- they are 1/2 steel as well. I just want to note the 'drill board' and clamp. I have found this works great at keeping the work from becoming a tool that chops off fingers. The fillips head screw keeps the work from spinning, the board is up against the column, and the work is clamped down. I have had too many cuts and close calls to hold stuff by hand anymore.

The old and the new

Driver side painted and installed. I also took the opportunity to install the steel 3 degree shims. The are held in place by the centering pin. It was a great thing, because this pin was on it's last legs!

Passenger side before

The passenger side is a bit trickier, as it clamps down onto the differential axle flange. I had to get creative with the mill, welder, and angle grinder/flap wheel.

installed

Next up-- steering box protection!

'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

Pete, nice work. Where did you get the milling vise. Mine is a piece of poo and I need something just like that. Thanks
      Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

The flipped u-bolts look good.

On the passenger side, the bolts not against the diff flange, did you put them against the tube?
        Dan M.
        Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
        48 days on trail in 2012!
        '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
        '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

Thanks guys

Kev-- that was a garage or tool sale item-- yeah-- it is nice!

Dan- It contacts both the tube and the diff carrier.

Comment

DIY CJ steering box skid / protection

I came up with for a steering box skid-- it's 1/4" steel, with 1/8" sides

`
            Next up is painting the nose & fabbing an engine skid. then it is on to the rear axle for a ladder bar and checking the carrier preload.

Comment

Excellent!
              Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
              I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
              2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

I see you BOUGHT the steering box skid judging by the Showroom floor that the picture was taken on.... JK. :D How much clearance did you gain by the U-Bolt flip? Nice work as usual. Thanks for taking the time to show us.

Comment

Thanks.

How much clearance did you gain by the U-Bolt flip?
                  vertical clearance-- I gained 3/4+". Horizontally, I gained 1" on either side of the spring. Front and back, looks like I lost at least 4" overall (see marks on springs in lower pic)

VS.

Anyone who's interested, the old 'plates are up on Ebay right now! :D

`

Comment

BEING AN OLD SCHOOL JEEPER

Peter: Since I am an old school Jeeper I like the fact that your springs are where they should be, under the axles.... Springovers suck

Comment

CJ engine skid

After nine hours of grindin', fittin, weldin', and paintin', the engine skid is done! =D> I cannot say how happy I am that this job is DONE! \:D/

1/4" steel-- diamond plate surface faces up.

I added a small scoop to keep the oil from flowing down the top of the skid when changing the oil. I'm going to be adding one of these to the JK's skid-- the last oil change was a nightmare! #-o

Showroom pics--

Before and after pics

Darryl (he'll be flying out to Moab on Sunday AM to join us) came over and helped me out with the sheet metal-- it is amazing how much more an extra set of hands can do.

Fender rocker skid-- opps. Next time I'll set it up ON the Jeep! 8-[

next up-- the rear ladder bar!

Comment

I like that skid! I think I know what my next project is... :-k
                        Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
                        I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
                        2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

Nice work Peter! Now I'm even more mad that I couldn't help yesterday!

Comment

lookin good there.

Comment

WOW what a nice improvement to the under armor. The Barnical is more like a Horseshoe Crab!!!

Comment

Pete, what is the outlet in the fender????
                                Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

Working...
                                X