Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

• It's a roller!

WWW.Facebook.com/rozzo.fabrication
        --Paul

Click Here To Check Me Out On Facebook!

http://www.rozzofabrication.com

Comment

• THanks guys-- yeah, all sorts of stuff to do now.

ANyone have a phot or idea for the rear cross member & tow points?

I am going to locate the bodymounts on top of the frame.
          'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
          1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• Can you post a pic of that area so I can see what your up against?

--Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by rozzo842 View Post
              Can you post a pic of that area so I can see what your up against?
              you can't read my mind? ;)

I re-sized the pic above to give a little more detail. I'll get some better pics when I get it rolled out of the garage.

Comment

• Why not cut the frame just past the link mounts and go tube? Get a little more clearance, you only need to support the tub now right?

--Paul

Comment

• yeah, but I'm not a fan of the rear tube & besides, it's just that much more work.

i was thinking about it a bit at work yesterday & sketched out a few ideas.

I'm thinking of angling back (from a side view) the bottom of the frame (for a better departure angle), weld in a chunk of 5/8 plate for a D-ring mount to both frame tubes, and then weld in a section of structural tube to span the frame head.

Ultimately, I want the rear to be able to withstand a heavy recovery pull. Without alot of tube work, I am not sure if that will be possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	403927_10151028712044035_1613689469_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	127801

I was also considering getting some D-shackles that will simply fit in the old spring hanger holes-- but the size I would need, to span the frame thickness, is huge (1.50").

Comment

• I might just have one for you, I'll check.

--Paul

Comment

• This is the biggest i have, your welcome to it if it will work for you

--Paul

Comment

• No rear bumper with D rings and a receiver mount in it? You need to protect the body no? Plus I thought you wanted to run this on the street?
                        Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

• Paul, thanks for the offer. Going that route will require something that is larger than that one- 2.75 " at the throat. The shackle will have to be HUGE. (1.50" diameter pin)

I am going to go for a design that will use a standard 'Jeeping' size removeable shackle.

Rich- it will be too high for a receiver (if i ever wanted to tow with it). Yes, it has to be streetable, with QQ plates. Seeing it with those tires scares me!

cell post

Comment

• It looks pretty awesome with the tires mocked up! I just was thinking you need a bumper to be street legal even with QQ plates all vehicles had front and rear bumpers? I wasn't thinking the receiver would be towing I was thinking more for a cargo carrier for camping gear or a bike rack stuff like that. I assumed you were gonna fab like a simple 2x4 steel bumper with a tire carrier. Your not going to be able to put the spare in the back?

The wheel base looks great and I like the old style cage too. It looks high like its not gonna fit in your garage? even with the smaller tires on it?
                            Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

• I don't know about the legalitites of the bumper. CJ's didn't come with them, other than a cross member, so I am looking to do just that.

I'd love a receiver. I gotta look into how the fuel tank & all is gonna fit. A receiver mount will be sticking right into it. We'll see..

Not sure about the spare tire yet. Of course, i really want to have one on the rig, but with a back seat for Will, it's gonna be tight..

It fits in the garage now, surprisingly. I won't know where ride-height will sit until everything is in & assembled. It might still make it in with the 37's...

Lots to do!

cell post

Comment

• got alot of time in today, but not a whole lot to show for it.

THe trans crossmember is in-- it still needs some tweaking, so I'll wait until the body comes off again, to finish it.

Got the rearmost front-floor body mounts drilled. They now go directly to the cage.

Got the rear body mounts drilled, too.

Name:	539738_10151031822794035_1328505766_n.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	127815

started working on the rear frame head. I gotta leave that opening for access to the bodymount, but I do not like how it looks. I hit it with some primer...

Name:	548240_10151032071159035_1524262863_n.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	127816

Started looking into fuel tank options. The OEM tanks (CJ or YJ) are not going to work.

So far I found this:

Name:	RCI-2162A.jpg
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	127817
                                Summit Racing's RCI cell. PN: RCI-2162A - 15 gallons

30 x 12 x 9 -- that will fit well in the space I have. It will not fall below the framerails (it will be 2" above the rear floor plane) and will allow for the use of a rear seat.

Comment

Working...
                                X