~ The Barnacle ~ [CJ-7]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeep-Power View Post
    got alot of time in today, but not a whole lot to show for it.

THe trans crossmember is in-- it still needs some tweaking, so I'll wait until the body comes off again, to finish it.

Got the rearmost front-floor body mounts drilled. They now go directly to the cage.

Got the rear body mounts drilled, too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2352[/ATTACH]

started working on the rear frame head. I gotta leave that opening for access to the bodymount, but I do not like how it looks. I hit it with some primer...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2353[/ATTACH]

Started looking into fuel tank options. The OEM tanks (CJ or YJ) are not going to work.

So far I found this:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2354[/ATTACH]

30 x 12 x 9 -- that will fit well in the space I have. It will not fall below the framerails (it will be 2" above the rear floor plane) and will allow for the use of a rear seat.
    That's the one!
    Doug Thornton

99 TJ

Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

• DOug-- you using the same one?
      'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
      1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• That's the plan yes, need to sink it in floor as well and keep back seat...was going to build firewall to separate from passenger area as well
        Doug Thornton

99 TJ

Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

• Looks good Pete, Maybe you could intergrate a removable gas tank skid with a bend in it to cover the holes in the frame and protect the tank. Would allow you to set the tank almost even with the bottom of the rails.
          Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

• what did it take to mount the nv4500 up the 4.0 and dana 300? got a lead on one pretty cheap ...
            Chris

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee
            5.7 hemi
            Quadra drive 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Kledder View Post
              Looks good Pete, Maybe you could intergrate a removable gas tank skid with a bend in it to cover the holes in the frame and protect the tank. Would allow you to set the tank almost even with the bottom of the rails.
              i like it!

Originally posted by chris78cj7 View Post
              what did it take to mount the nv4500 up the 4.0 and dana 300? got a lead on one pretty cheap ...

too late & too much to type- call me!

Comment

• I'd love a receiver. I gotta look into how the fuel tank & all is gonna fit. A receiver mount will be sticking right into it. We'll see..
                What about fabbing a bar with a receiver hitch that could go between the frame rails and mount where the old spring shackle holes are? Could be held in with some serious tractor pins and removed upon arrival at the campsite after the pop up is disconnected. Put a drop hitch in the receiver and you're good to tow.
                Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
                I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
                2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

• Originally posted by 2001TJ View Post
                  What about fabbing a bar with a receiver hitch that could go between the frame rails and mount where the old spring shackle holes are? Could be held in with some serious tractor pins and removed upon arrival at the campsite after the pop up is disconnected. Put a drop hitch in the receiver and you're good to tow.
                  Way cool idea here, would have some extra herk and jerk with the "extra" pins but prolly worth it for the removability factor..?
                  Doug Thornton

99 TJ

Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

• I just figured make it easily removable so it's not just sitting there getting hung up on stuff, or decreasing the departure angle. I spend too much time wandering around Tractor Supply Co...
                    Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
                    I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
                    2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

I like that too!

Please keep the ideas coming folks!

cell post

Comment

I just figured make it easily removable so it's not just sitting there getting hung up on stuff, or decreasing the departure angle. I spend too much time wandering around Tractor Supply Co...
                        If its between the frame rails and not below the rails would the Reciever which sticks out the rear change the departure angle enough to justify making it removable? If you go back to to the mock up pic with the tires his departure angle looks like its 90 degrees. Depending where he puts his fuel cell he could just recess the receiver.
                        Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

• or you could do simular to my setup on the rear of my CJ w/ receiver mounted in middle of bar with gussets. I use that as rear pull point all the time. Was going to be even with back of body, but the original gas tank made me have to push it out. Kind of glad it did, as I still have a little step back there.
                          Dan M.
                          Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                          48 days on trail in 2012!
                          '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                          '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

• Originally posted by warthog_cj7 View Post
                            as I still have a little step back there.
                            Dan, you have a pic of that handy, please?

Comment

• I'm wondering why you named this CJ "The Barnacle" looking at your mock up pic, and knowing your set up this Jeep is gonna kick a**. A barnacle is stuck to the side of something not able to move on its own. Your gonna have a 4.2 with the 4.0 head, turbo and 37's or what ever size those treads are not to mention the rest of your set up. Not suggesting you should rename it by any means but I don't think the name fits anymore. :)
                              Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

• Thanks Rich.

I didn't coin the name. I believe Damon did. It just stuck. It is a rust-tainted white with a rough & dented body.

Basicly, kinda knarley(sp?), like a barnacle

cell post

Comment

Working...
                                X