No announcement yet.

~ The Barnacle ~ [CJ-7]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry for the lack of info. Surfing at work & had to go. I think they just banned this address from me! :p

Was working on an answer to Doug's question-

Gonna use the Artec hold down that Kevin let me in on. For $130 shipped, it can't be beat!

The rear floor will sit about 2" higher to cover the tank & there will be a hump on it to cover the plumbing & electrical.

I am fabbing that all up now, waiting on the tank mount. It will be here by the weekend.

cell post
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• oh well, the Artec mount didn't work, as I ordered the wrong one & there's not enough room for it anyway-- even the correct one.

I ended up fabbing up some SS straps.

Now working on getting the bed sides & floor in-- tacked in the wheelhouse sides last night.

Comment

• Pete, do you trust those straps to hold that fuel cell in? The look kinda weak. You are looking at over a 150lbs with fuel. How thick are the straps. From the pics it looks like 20 gauge max. Photo could be deceiving.
        Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

• Originally posted by Kledder View Post
          Pete, do you trust those straps to hold that fuel cell in? The look kinda weak. You are looking at over a 150lbs with fuel. How thick are the straps. From the pics it looks like 20 gauge max. Photo could be deceiving.
          I thought that photo would stir a post out of you. :)

not sure on the math- gasoline is approx 6 lbs per gallon. It is a 15 gallon tank. About 90lbs of fuel.

Yes, they are pretty thick-- about a 1/16"-- can't cut it with metal shears.

With the rubber inserts (one can be seen at the bottom corner, below filler tube) the tank is an interference fit into the skid/mount, all around. I am confident this will be adequate. Just have to add some thin rubber insulators under the strips before the final install.

Comment

• I guess my only concern is at the end where the bolt goes through. Looks like there is no way to tighten it. I would recommend a tube sleeve over the threaded rod to tighten the bolt against. I still would worry about the right angle bend where the rod goes through. Just looks like it will fatigue over time.
            Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

• Peter- I can bend you some flat stock in the press brake if needed...
              Doug Thornton

99 TJ

Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kledder View Post
                I guess my only concern is at the end where the bolt goes through.... I still would worry about the right angle bend where the rod goes through. Just looks like it will fatigue over time.
                hmmm-- good point-- I was concerned about that as well, but noting better came to mind.

I like that idea-- get rid of the 90* bend. Then weld a section of tube to the strap, and have the stud pass through it. The only trick I see will be getting the nut end of the tube to stand far enough off of the strap to clear the nut- allowing the nut to be turned. Canting it or spacing it off the strap should take care of that.

I was not able to find a photo of it, but is that what you mean?

EDIT--

sort of like the tubes that are welded to the box here:

Comment

• That could work, but I would be hesitant about welding anything to the strapping. Its stainless and its pretty thin already. Welding to it will only creat a weak point in the metal. If you had longer strapping you could ditch the threaded rod and bring the strapping all the way down to the skid plate to a tab and connect it with a bolt and nut. If you are going to change it up that much, I would change over to 1/8 plate for the strapping.
                  Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

• From the pic, it seems the fit is nice and snug in that skid plate. Can't you have someone TIG a few brackets onto the fuel cell itself and bolt it to the skid?
                    Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
                    I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
                    2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

• Originally posted by 2001TJ View Post
                      From the pic, it seems the fit is nice and snug in that skid plate. Can't you have someone TIG a few brackets onto the fuel cell itself and bolt it to the skid?
                      I would stay away from brackets welded to the tank. When the tank mount flexes because of frame flex the brackets on the tank will eventually fail. Best case the bracket breaks, the worst case the tank fails where the bracket is welded on causing a leak.
                      Pete
                      CJ 5.75

Comment

• A lot of the fuel cells used to have tabs on them, but due to failing over time, they stopped making them with tabs because of this reason.
                        Dan M.
                        Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                        48 days on trail in 2012!
                        '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                        '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          I would stay away from brackets welded to the tank. When the tank mount flexes because of frame flex the brackets on the tank will eventually fail. Best case the bracket breaks, the worst case the tank fails where the bracket is welded on causing a leak.
                          A lot of the fuel cells used to have tabs on them, but due to failing over time, they stopped making them with tabs because of this reason.
                          Ah-ha! Wondered what the reason was. Learn something new every day.
                          Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
                          I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
                          2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

• I've been picking away steadily at the rear floor. Pics to come.

Comment

• Did you solve the strap problem and how or just gonna fix it later? I was curious found this. Same as Kevin describes.
                              Its a stock car spec and I'm pretty sure you wont be going as fast but who knows with that turbo.... I was reading the Comanche club forum and they were talking about you think it was a while back though. lol

"the cell should be strapped all the way around with a minimum of two 31/416x2-inch steel straps"

Read more: http://www.stockcarracing.com/techar...#ixzz2EpPKtj00

Your straps would just be upside down from the pic.
                              Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

• I'm going to copy this part of the thread as I will be putting a fuel cell in my rig after I do the head and trans rebuild. keep the good info flowing. i have an idea that i might be able to retain the use of the oem gas filler (i relocated mine to mirror a tj) while having the pump accesible by opening the tailgate
                                Jeremy Zuber ...59 CJ5 resurrection, 97 TJ 4 banger mall crawler

Comment

Working...
                                X