Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys...

Dan-- there is about 2 inches.

I took it out for the maiden voyage yesterday-- had some gremlins!

I missed the ground for the fan and OBA pressure switch #-o . Some head scratchin' in a parking lot took car of that. I do need a new upper raditor hose -- ordered.

I got to flext it out and hang some tires. I'm not sure if it is the ladder bar or not, but the rear was much less flexy than the front. I'm going to mod the ladder bar shackle to allow for compression and expansion. When I was fitting the ladder bar, I noticed it didn't move side-to-side or front-to-back a whole lot. The majority of the movement was up and down. This shackle doesn't allow for that. I figure I dont want it going up a whole lot-- as that's what it is meant to prevent, but allowing a bit of vertical movement may free things up a bit.

The best news this week is that I got the spare drives side alloy axle in-- no more twisted splines for me! \:D/ It required MAKING a custom split shim-- came out to 0.270 after trial and fit and a bunch of hand filing! #-o Yeah-- satomasicistic neurotic mechanic, that's me! :D
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

bring your scorpion spray
      Robert Kosinski
      http://robertkosinski.zenfolio.com/
      http://www.youtube.com/user/rocksteadyrobk

Comment

Nahhh-- the extra axle shaft and dial calipers will be enough to keep 'em at bay.

Comment

anything else major to do? or mostly little stuff?

Comment

Just 'cage stuff-- oh, and I found the newer power steering pump is leaking out the shaft... #-o Just got off the phone with NAPA-- they have a replacemnent on the way

Comment

Not that familiar w/ a ladder bar. When you said you lost some flex in the rear, did (Same pic w/ the 300.) the jamb nut on the heim hit the brackets in side to side motion? Space seems kinda narrow at the heim(or restrictive at jamb nut).
              Dan M.
              Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
              48 days on trail in 2012!
              '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
              '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

pete, i wonder if it would work better if you "flipped" the ladder bar shackle- have the tube with bushings pivot on the crossmember, and put the heim on the ladder bar tube, with the bolt going down a threaded portion of the tube. the way it looks now, the whole shackle has to pivot side to side and you can see where it hits the muffler. Its hard to tell from the pic but if there isnt enough room between the crossmember plates and the heim nut (like dan said) it can bind up there.

Comment

Yeah, it does look tight, but the shackle doesn't pivot that much side-to-side, atleast not in the flexing I did yesterday. When I modify it to allow for vertical movement, I will make that gap larger.

It does hit the air tank (looks like a muffler) but the things moves out of the way easily. That mark isn't where it hits-- that's some anti-sieze from the install. :)

Smitty-- do you have one on your SOA setup? How did yours come out??

Comment

heim's on top and bottom of shackle might help.

Comment

OK, forget the ladder bar shackle issue for now--

What a day-- Huge thanks to Pat, Kurt, Rob J. and Darryl for helping me out today -- Pat and Rob actually came down for a few hours last night too.

Chris King and Marc played into it to by getting Kurt just the perfect length of DOM to fininsh the seat cross bars.

All the interior tube work is done-- cross-braced the overhead hoop, tied its bottom together and then the front and rear hoop bottoms together-- then ran cross bars to mount the seats too. Darryl started on the rear 'tub-bars'. Pat tool on extending the twin sticks, Kurt cleaned up and took care of a bunch of nagging issues. Rob tackled a radiator hose and mounting the CB antenna.

I am soo beat right now-- plan on getting up early to get the drivers seat mounted-- the prelminarys look great-- TONS of headroom!! \:D/

Huge props to all you guys, thank you, thank you thank you!!! =D> =D>

-- pics to come tomorrow-- I'm going to bed!

`

Comment

great to hear.

Comment

CJ cage and seat fabrication

As promised :D

first off-- the tool of the day-- this JD2 tubing notcher (big-scary drill not included) is worth it's weight in gold! - Thanks to Marc for the suggestion.

B-bar floor tie in

This one took multiple cuts with multiple size hole saws #-o

another doozy-- that cheezy hydro bender does OK! (courtesy of BC4WD)

as it sits after this AM

Twin stick extensions courtesy of The Mad Patter Fabrication! (they still need to be painted)

Comment

Twin stick rat fink style....
                            Was a pleasure to work in your home shop. LMK if you need more help next week. I think two late nights in a row is all I can handle.
                            -Pat

48 CJ2A, 98 ZJ 5.9L, 04 WJ

Comment

those seat mounts will not support the weight. you should run them the full length. If you leave them that way, throw a lot more weld on them.
                              Robert Kosinski
                              http://robertkosinski.zenfolio.com/
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/rocksteadyrobk

Comment

Agreed Rob-- they are just tacked in- getting them all in place first.

Comment

Working...
                                X