~ The Barnacle ~ [CJ-7]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool.

I am not sure that will help me. The fuel pressure issue comes on when the hot engine has been sitting off, for a while, and then restsrted. Starts are difficult and idle is extremely lean, at best. It will stall or have an very rough idle. Higher RPMs are ok, but again, very lean. I will not go into boost when this is going on.

Afterna few minutes it will dissipate, as the hot fuel is dispersed.
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• What about using a fuel rail that has the return line to the tank? I know some jeeps had both.. You can also set the fuel pump to run and extra a second or two to push the hot fuel back to tank with the return.
      Chris

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      5.7 hemi
      Quadra drive 2

Comment

• You are right that will do nothing for you. I though you had a more general fuel pressure issue.If you suspect a vapor lock situation maybe its worth trying to wrap the fuel lines and rail in a reflective insulation. If that improves things then you are on the right track.Try something like this:http://www.thermotec.com/products/14...s-sleeves.html
        Pete
        CJ 5.75

Comment

• From what I hear, with the 4.0 it doesn't work very well. Gonna try to hit it as hard as I can with the flow through fuel rail.

Took it wheelin this weekend. Charity ride at Devil's Playground. Glad i never painted this drive shaft. :-)

Comment

• wow!!
            Dave TVH
            03 TJ 4.0L-TF 727-Atlas II 4.3-Solid Axle 60's 5.13 gears- locked fr&rear
            PSC Hydro - 3 inch stretch-37" Trep Beadlocks- OBA - More
            5 Days on the trail - 3 locations for 2018 / 11 @4 in 2017 / 6 @ 3 in 2016 /13 @ 5 in 2015 / 11 @ 4 in 2014 / 18 @ 6 in 2013 / 20 @ 5 in 2012

Comment

• Turbo-power!!!!!!!
              Larry Anderson - Just a quiet, little trail rig.

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

• That's a very clean break. You must have dimpled it just prior.
                good to hear your using it down there!
                Dan M.
                Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                48 days on trail in 2012!
                '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

• Originally posted by warthog_cj7 View Post
                  That's a very clean break. You must have dimpled it just prior.
                  good to hear your using it down there!
                  Yeah, i was in heavy loose trunk-sized rock. I knew it might get ugly. It was already a little bent, so who knows.

Also found this. A buddy welded it together last night. The steering arm hits it at full lock/full stuff. :/

Comment

• Thank you everybody!

Comment

• Dang that's nice Peter!
                      Doug Thornton

99 TJ

Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

• It is. Quite honored to have received it.

Thanks to Tom in CORE, he let me use his shop to get the drive shaft done today with .250 wall DOM. That should hold up. :-)

Oops, forgot the photo
                        Last edited by Jeep-Power; 03-03-2014, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• I had had it with the use late 80's vintage Bestop, the stiching was rotted out and the whole thing literally coming apart. Also, never fit right and the doors flap. I was able to sell it and pick up a barely used black Supertop. I'm not crazy about the color, looks like leather pants to me. Does go with the color scheme well though.

Comment

• lookin' good Pete!
                            Larry Anderson - Just a quiet, little trail rig.

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

• LEATHER PANTS!!!! HA!

Looks good, though!
                              Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
                              I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
                              2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

Comment

• Got it out to Harlan, Ky and the Black Mountain Adventure park last weekend with my friends of Lake Norman Crawlers. What a great time. Harlan is exactly 5 hours from me. The first 1.5 hours are interstate and federal highways, the rest is secondary roads. What a long and beautiful ride. Ol' Barney got about 15MPG with the 37's and pulled all the hills with no problems.

I did have to slay a engine management gremlin before I left-- it tuned out to be stretched contacts in the ECU interface plug. My bad-- caused by jamming test leads into the female terminals.

Found another issue right after getting back-- I had the charcoal canister purge vacuum signal line hooked to the same line as the MAP sensor. I choked off the charcoal tube while poking around under the hood with the engine running and it immediately killed the engine. THAT'S WIERD. Well, I guess the vacuum diaphragm in the charcoal canister is shot and is allowing the engine to suck air though it-- well, when the charcoal canister has fuel vapor in it, the vapors were getting sucked into the manifold-- sometimes it was actually sucking liquid fuel. Well, that explained the random wholesale swings in the AFR. This discovery, of course required an entire re-mapping of the fuel curve, but it has been well worth it. She is running better than ever. The closed loop feature is now working perfectly and boost AFR's are consistent.

I also added a amber LED overhead interior light. Nice.

After 2 nights of night wheeling, it is clear to me I am way behind the times. LED rock lights are all-the-rage in this area. SuperbrightLEDs.com, here I come!

In other news we took ownership of our house this past Thursday-- planning on starting the floor epoxy coating in the basement & garage tomorrow.

Harlan pics to follow.

Comment

Working...
                                X