• Show
Clear All

• At The Flats, on entrance to ZigZag
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• Thats awsome

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
      Jonathan- o4 tj 4" clayton long arm w 5" stretch, 1" bb, atlas2 5.0, pro rock 60 front and rear

Comment

• Barnacle okay? is it messed up?
        Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

• He just wanted to grease it without getting dirt in his eyes....
          Larry Anderson - Just a quiet, little trail rig.

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

• easier to check all the clearances when it is on its side
            That is why I did it at least

Ha Ha

Nice!
            Dave TVH
            03 TJ 4.0L-TF 727-Atlas II 4.3-Solid Axle 60's 5.13 gears- locked fr&rear
            PSC Hydro - 3 inch stretch-37" Trep Beadlocks- OBA - More
            5 Days on the trail - 3 locations for 2018 / 11 @4 in 2017 / 6 @ 3 in 2016 /13 @ 5 in 2015 / 11 @ 4 in 2014 / 18 @ 6 in 2013 / 20 @ 5 in 2012

Comment

• Good to see your testing your side rails....
              Dan M.
              Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
              48 days on trail in 2012!
              '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
              '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich69 View Post
                Barnacle okay? is it messed up?
                Just took the paint off the rocker, very small dent by the rear flare, took some paint of the rear tree bar, and bent the mirror a little.

I was getting really rammy with it while trying the high right line-- drivers tires fell into the center of the V-notch and she just laid over, softly. We did make it further up the trail, however. :)

hopefully the three images below are visible

the body armor worked great! The mark on the seat shows where that rouge rock came into the cab and pushed on me pretty good-- no pain, but door bars are now on the top of the to-do list!

Comment

• Nice. Living the dream looks like a lot of fun down there!!
                  Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

• Had a amazing 3 night, two days of jeeping trip with the club at The NJJC Cove Crawl in Gore, Va this past weekend. It was great to see all the familiar faces and for some of my Southern friends to meet & wheel with NJJC.

Here we are heading up the rock section of Death Valley.

Tech:

I was out at The Flats about a month ago, on a hot day, on some steep & slippery trails-- that means lots of throttle and heat. The engine got REALLY hot-- I had to do something about the cooling system. Lo and behold, two days after I got back, the upper tank on the radiator split wide open on the way to work. I made it home, soldered oit back up, and it lasted two days. I dropped it off at an great old-school radiator shop (Hovis Radiator).

while it was out I did some research -- Pirate 4x4 had some great tech on the crucials of cooling systems. After weighing the options, I went the cheapest fix first and added shrouding and a second fan (8"). I also adjusted the computer to tun the fan on and off at 210 & 208.

There were some killer-long interstate pulls on the trip north (Fancy Gap on 81) and the improved setup worked amazingly well. I was able to pull all but the largest hills at 75MPH and averaged over 16MPG for the entire trip!

Still thinking of regearing to 4.56's. I think 4.88's will be just a little too deep for the interstate. A few extra RPM's at 75 will be nice-- I figure they will put me at about 2500RPM

The rear driveshaft is eating CV u-joints (1310's) - not sure if it has to do with joint bind at full droop or too much torque when in heavy rock. Had to put the spare in first thing on the second day at The Cove.
                    Last edited by Jeep-Power; 02-21-2015, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• Try the full droop 1st, get the entire rear to hang not touching the ground. Then rotate the rear wheels. Should be fluid. If when turning you get kind of a bump with the rotation, your right at the start of the CV binding.

Mine was drooping so low that I couldn't turn as the ears in the CV were locking it up. I went the cheap route, welded a bar between frame rails with 2 tabs, welded piece of chain from tube to tube over the pumpkin, then connected tabs to chain with another section of chain, right at center. Has made a major improvement. I went through 2 CVs and 2 ujoints at pinion before applying solution. All good for past year.
                      Dan M.
                      Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                      48 days on trail in 2012!
                      '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                      '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

• Also look into high angle driveline
                        -tom
                        Originally posted by Sigmaz
                        la la la ...
                        We just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues because we're really smart.

ahem.. sorry about that ..

.....wheres my medicine?

Comment

• Before i taclke the driveshaft issue, i chose to tackle the leaking transmission. It was leaking out of the clocking ring. While getting everything removed to remove the t-case, i was able to observe the clocking ring flexing while i applied force to the tailshaft of the t-case. Well, that isn't good and explains why it is leaking.

Here is the culprit. I think the extra countersunk holes have alot to do with it being so weak. The 3/8" thickness doesn't help.

Novak and AA both offer clocking rings. Theirs are 7/8" thick- beef!

I am looking into getting some 7/8" plate and making one for myself. On a tight budget now and can't afford a $200 expense. Plus i will get to put in just the holes i need and put them where i need them. The cross member and t-case outrigger are based off of them

The trans outout seal needs to be looked at as well, not sure why it is allowing oil past and into the trans/t-case cavity

Comment

• Peter, with the thicker ring is there any issue with spline engagement of the input/output shafts? I think I remember seeing something about this...?
                            Doug Thornton

99 TJ

Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

• Originally posted by orngkrate View Post
                              Peter, with the thicker ring is there any issue with spline engagement of the input/output shafts? I think I remember seeing something about this...?
                              Yeahhhhhh

Well, that was the easier, softer way. After getting the money up to buy it through eBay sales and then a one month backorder and then almost 3 weeks in Puerto Rico. It's finally in.

I went with the AA kit.

I am also going to add a sight glass like Blue did on his D300.

Comment

• Nice
                                Doug Thornton

99 TJ

Pile of CJ parts...

Comment

Working...
                                X