No announcement yet.

~ The Barnacle ~ [CJ-7]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the t-case back in. This is how i plumbed the site-glass.

Once that all was back in I chose to tuck into the fuel rail re-plumbing and exhaust manifold leak.

I thought the manifold leak had to do with using a fiber gasket on a turbo exhaust. i was in the process of modifing a late model (1330 head) metal gasket when the thought occured to check the exhaust manifold flatness. Turns out the gasket held up fine, where the manifold was flat. Othewise it was almost 1/8" out of flat. As far as i can tell, this was present since the manifold was welded together. The leak presented itself upon the second full warmup, long before its first drive.

The Bridgeport came in handy for fixing that. The tricky part was that the table travel is a bit less than the manifold lenghth. Setting the head out at a compound angle worked great.

Next up is a flow-through fuel rail to eliminate the hotspot that the OEM rail has at the rear of the engine. Looking forward to seeing what difference that make for hot startups.
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• Nice Work...
      Rich Volpi - 2000 XJ, 1989 MJ

Comment

• Are running a returnless system?
        Pete
        CJ 5.75

Comment

• Truly a Jeep is never done! Can't wait to wheel again with you?
          Kai aka Drew's Dad

97 TJ, 4'' Clayton Long Arms & Armored, Atlas, 1 ton steering, Artec Front Truss & Aussie Locker, D44 Rear & Locked, AtoZ Bumpers and Rockers, 35in KM2s,

2010 JK Rubicon (Kathleen's)

2007 Ram 1500

Comment

• Thanks Rich.

Pete, it is an OEM OBD1 retun system. Only the front 1" of the rail gets full flow.

Kai, likewise! See you in Harlan?

Comment

• Fuel rail is done and she runs!

Used a blank FAST 24" fuel rail. Cut an inch off of it. Used ORB to -6AN fittings to plumb it in.

Learned my lesson with AN fittings. Buy Fragola. The Earls & Summit brands are not nearly as nice.

Fabbed up a jig to hold it on the drillpress. Drilled the injector bores undersize and just happend to have ($h!t luck!) the exact size reamer as the OEM injector bores.

The most difficult task was fabricating the mounting brackets. I had some scrap cast aluminumbcomponents that i cut up and milled to shape.

Also installed a new 60PSI liquid filled gauge ( 1/8 NPT fitting)

Attached Files

Comment

• Sweet! Looks awesome!

Jeep starting any better?
                Pete
                CJ 5.75

Comment

• Pete, I haven't had the chance to drive it more than around the block today.

Been in it all day. My neighbor Alex helped get the new Yukon hubs on.

Before & after.

Got both rear driveshafts rebuilt ( again) and am fixing to install the rear axle center limit strap

Rock rings also came in today.

Comment

• Well i am glad to report on the fuel rail modification, it has worked out very well. Hot starts are easy and it doesn't go super-lean. The overall tune and drivability have been consistent and reliable. No weird fuel pressure changes or erratic idle. This may also be in part to getting the tune dialed in. Just really happy with how it runs and drives overall. Still working out a few bugs on the cold and hot start, but it (and my understanding of how to tune it) has come a long way in the past few months. Doesn't always start on the first crank, but it does happen a lot more often. :-)

The Walbro pickups (4 in tank) are for the birds. I was in the tank atleast 10 times in the 3 weeks leading up to the Harlan trip. I finally figured out that the pump was sucking the Walbro's closed, even with plenty of fuel in the tank. I ended up plumbing them all very close together and keeping them in the center of the tank. This keeps them submerged the longest. I also ended up doubling up the internal springs, so they will not close at all. Anything weaker than this and they will fluttter or close completely (can you say low or jo fuel pressure?). I am saving up for a Holley Hydramat.

Other Harlan prep incuded a rear limit strap. Some old seatbelt and a handy-sticher worked well. I fixed it to the frame and the center of the axle. 4 days of wheeling and still on the same rear double cardan driveshaft. :-)

Got the rock rings in. They work great. They kept the rims straight and saved the chrome. Still saving for Inner Air Locks. That day may never come, as I have been running these at 6 pounds and haven't blown or burped them yet.

Started by having the tires dismounted. Then i put the rim on the rear axle (supported by a jackstand). I started the engine, with the t-case in low and trans in 1st, and used a cutoff wheel to score through the chrome overlay.

With that removed i pounded the rock-rashed lip back into shape to get the rings to fit.

the rings (inner & outer) had to be prepped for welding by champhering both faces of the outer edge. Vicegrips held it in place while i stich welded them. I hit back the rough spots with a flap disc, self-etch primed them, and two coats of gloss black.

had them mounted locally. Not crazy about the black- may try them in white. They need a touchup, anyway.

Next up are some rock lights and a working radio.

Some pics from Harlan

Comment

• Jeep looks awesome dude!

The trails look sweet down there.
                      Pete
                      CJ 5.75

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Jeep looks awesome dude!

The trails look sweet down there.

thanks Pete.

See you in June?

Comment

• Unfortunately not. :(

Jeep build is out of control and has taken on a life of its own so its taking longer than i wanted but its pretty much everything i ever wanted to do and then some!

When its done i plan to wheel the snot out of it!
                          Pete
                          CJ 5.75

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            Unfortunately not. :(

Jeep build is out of control and has taken on a life of its own so its taking longer than i wanted but its pretty much everything i ever wanted to do and then some!

When its done i plan to wheel the snot out of it!

I know just what you mean! keep up the good work & do it how you see fit. I am sooo glad i was able to and did so on mine. It is time well spent.

Comment

• Hopefuuly, do it just LITTLE faster than the Barnacle.
                              Larry Anderson - Just a quiet, little trail rig.

NJJC Treasurer

Comment

• Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                                Hopefuuly, do it just LITTLE faster than the Barnacle.
                                Working on it man. I have progress to post up but i need to take some pics first. No more barnacle thread derailing. Lol!
                                Pete
                                CJ 5.75

Comment

Working...
                                X