Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZJ_PAT
    Twin stick rat fink style....
    Was a pleasure to work in your home shop. LMK if you need more help next week. I think two late nights in a row is all I can handle.

Thanks Pat-- I guess you really were smiling ear to ear all night. :) And yes, I can certainly use any help you can spare!

Anyone else who has fabrication skills and some time to spare -- your help will be greatly appreciated! [-o< I'll be hitting it hard, for the last full day, on Sunday!
    'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
    1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

Yes, please, all are welcome to our house on Sunday (at least those that are going to help on the CJ :D )-- and I'll take care of feeding you (even if its just a quick run over to Baja Fresh).

I miss my husband and the folks at Baja Fresh are becoming a little to familiar with me :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by rocksteadyrobk
        those seat mounts will not support the weight. you should run them the full length. If you leave them that way, throw a lot more weld on them.
        After some thought and chattin' with Marc about it-- I took the advice Rob.

The mounts are 1/4" angle. Connecting them definitely makes sense-- some spare 1" square tube did the trick.

Got the drivers side seat in this AM-- and half way through the passengerside-- very happy with the results so far. With a little [-o< , paint will go down on the cagework before Sunday AM! \:D/

Metal Supermarkets is delivering 9' of 1.5" DOM for the rear "tree-bars" today-- stay tuned! :D

Comment

Jeep CJ roll cage seats and fender / tree bars

Well, I didn't think about it when I asked for help-- but it being Mothers' Day yesterday, I worked by myself for most of the day-- Darryl did coime over and put in a solid 4 hours with me-- HUGE thanks Darryl!!! =D>

He got the seats in and helped alot with the "tree bars" on the rear of the body.

I started the AM out with finishing the seat mounts-- Rob and Marc-- I hope this suits you better:

I am really happy with how the frot seatbar came out-- not perfect, but it works well!

Painted

Starting on the treebars

before and after

details

Things always look better with paint!

Comment

Found some info in safety restraint mounting at Simpson:

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/safet...ing-positions/

Just want to note-- I will have like to make the entire seat mount pieces aout of the 1/4" angle, it's just that I didn't have enough!

Comment

Those tree bars look good! I like the tie-in end caps, very clean. Nicely done.

Comment

Looks Great Peter...

Are you worried about hitting a tree or rock hard enough on the tree bar to weaken the roll bar?

Comment

Thanks guys.

I'm not worried about soomthing hitting it that hard-- if so the body would have been pretty mashed anyway.

The '***** Lake Tree Bars" are just for the occasional tree or rock rub-- in order to keep the sheet metal alittle straighter

side shot (the red rathchet strap is a doggie restraint)

Thanks to Pat, Margo, and Kurt for more of their time last night-- it will be all together by this time tomorrow-- just a few details, like mountiing the fire extinguishers, reinstalling the soft-top, seat belts. and changing the tires.

Here's what we completed last night

Ready & leavin' for Moab!!! (dog is staying home)

Comment

Nice tube work Peter. This truck has BAJAAA written all over it. Can't wait to see it on some blue cheetahs :D
                    -Erik
                    #4421 Miller Motorsports
                    -2012 King of the Hammers Champion-

Comment

=D> =D>

I knew you would lay the wheel down on the floor!!! #-o

Comment

good call jay

Comment

\:D/ I got a cookie \:D/

Peter, how did you secure the wooden structure? I have 2 eye hooks with fender washers on both sides mounted to the floor under my spare (my spare doesn't exactly sit on the floor) that i use to ratchet my tools down. But I like your idea, will help when I got to the store for groceries.

Comment

Thanks-

Jay-- it is secured with straps holding the entinre assebly down to mini D-rings on the fenders-- thanks to Pat! =D>

PS-- Moab is very cool

Comment

Well, Moab is cool, and it is also great at revealing all the weak links on my CJ. This week I'll be cracking into the bell housing to see what broke in the clutch linkage. Also on deck is a replacement set of gears on the front axle... 8-[

Comment

Before we get into the 'clutch linkage debacle'-- (unfortunately) there was quite a bit of work that went on in Moab...

First off was rewelding the rear passengerside axle flange on the edge of Mickey's Hot Tub.. that was fun! Unfortunately the pics of the repair were lost... here's what it looked like when it was discovered:

then it was on to replacing the spider gear cross shaft in the front ARB, the next day and a half (had to wait on parts)

then it was on to replacing the rear output yoke on the transfrecase-- on the trail (Pritchett Canyon). NOTE-- always use grade 8 hardware on these!!

The clutch linkage failed right after the driveline repair...

then it was on to tightening the front U-bolts-- I was wondering what was up with the steering! #-o

the happy ending-- I was able to drive it the two hors home from Ledder's-- who needs a clutch!

like I said earlier-- Moab showed me a whole bunch of weak links! ](*,)

Comment

Working...
                                X