~ The Barnacle ~ [CJ-7]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700+lbs
    Kewl you got a Rear Rockwell axle w/o the drum brakes.

Just need a front now.

Bout time you got some real beef.
    Dan M.
    Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
    48 days on trail in 2012!
    '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
    '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

• Originally posted by warthog_cj7
      700+lbs
      Kewl you got a Rear Rockwell axle w/o the drum brakes.

Just need a front now.

Bout time you got some real beef.

LOL-- I didn't say 2 1/2 ton engineering! :D
      'Tall' Peter -- Former NJ Resident
      1962 CJ-5 ~ 1984 CJ-7 ~ 2008 JKUR ~ R/C Toys

Comment

• I started dissasembly of the rear D60 last night-- the carrier bearing are shot (one spun alittle) and the goopy old gear oil made me sick today.

Surpriningly the rear comes with 30 spline shafts... I am looking to upgrade to 35 spline shafts, but the spindles will need to be bored.

Here's my solution:

I can get a counterbore, for boring out the rear D60 spindles, for less than $200. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go this route...

A 4 tip carbide cutter-- 1 5/8" x 8+" long (we need alittle less than 7")

MSC catalog page: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=2108552

This thing (called a pilot) sticks into the center of the cutter (it's larger diameter is the same as the inside of the spindle). It keeps the cutter centered in the spindle bore.

MSC catalog page: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=1789638

here's a better image of the hole that the pilot fits into:

Another way of achieving the boring is to cut off, bore, and then reweld on the spindles. It seems like alot of work to me. I hope this counter-bore thing works!

can anyone tell me the bore needed to fit the 35 spline throught he spindles?? I see that the carrier has a 1 5/8" bore, so that is what I speced out the spindles too. This will require taking off 1/8" off the inside surface of the spindles... 8-[

Comment

• Pete... good to see your not letting any dust settle on those 60's. If your boring bit works, I'd be willing to go halfs with you on it.
          Kevin

My Buggy Build Thread

Jeremy's CJ

2007 JK Unlimited

Comment

• OK!

I just called Randys-- the 35 spline shafts are 1.5" OD-- that means the spindle is to be bored to 1 9/16 (1.56")

Comment

• A proper introduction...

These Dana 60 axles are out of a '84 Dodge 350 'Pioneer' shortbed pickup-- the front axle is a kingpin type. The rear is a full-floating type. They have at least 160,000 miles on them. They are both open differentials with 4.10 : 1 gears. The front axle has a 67" wheel mounting width (WMS) athe rear has a 65" WMS. They have a 8 on 6.5" lug pattern. The driveshaft yokes are 1310 series. They are set up for spring over, from the factory.

Front Hub

Front U-joint with a D44 sitting on it...

Rear Hub

Comment

• those are awsome looking cant wait to see you put them under your jeep
                -tom
                Originally posted by Sigmaz
                la la la ...
                We just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues because we're really smart.

ahem.. sorry about that ..

.....wheres my medicine?

Comment

• OK-- the axles are mostly disassembled. The garage looks like a yard sale.

I have the counter bore for boring out the rear axle spindles. I'll be boring them out to 1 9/6 (1.562). I was apprehensive to reduce the spindle bore that much, but after reading THIS Dana 70 ARTICLE is seems OK. As it turns out, the Dana 70 had an even greater spindle bore and thus thinner spindle. :D

I had to modify the counter bore. It came with a 1.25" shaft. The largest drill I can get my hands on has a 3/4", so I will have to turn the shaft down to that size. I will be renting a 3/4" drill for the boring day ($25)-- stay tuned...

Comment

• Peter,

Can you elaborate a little on the drill type, and specs? Looking to save you the rental fee$$.

P

Comment

• Paul-
                      it is a (big) electric drill that has a chuck that will accept a 3/4" shank. (most electric drills can accept a 3/8" or 1/2" shank in their chucks)

Ideally I'm looking for a drill that has a chuck that will accept a 1" shank, but the 3/4" one is the largest I can find.

Comment

• Well, they are mostly dissasembled and ready for rebuilding. I have some parts on the way and am in the process of selling off what I am not going to reuse. Te result is a garage floor yardsale:

I am keeping the inner 35 spline front inner shafts, but replacing the 30 spline outers. So I needed to dissasemble the OEM asseblys. Besides, both U-joints were trashed.

As with any dana 60 build I have read, here are some of the requisite "oh my got these parts are huge!" pics. I have never really seen pics that adequately capture the scale of the 1 ton drivetrain parts, when compared to our beloved Dana 30 and 44 parts. So, as I said, here's my stab at it:

The U-joints..

The axle shafts: a 27 spline D30/44 cromoly outer next to a OEM Spicer 30 spline D60 outer-

here we have the 27 spline shaft, the 30 spline shaft, and the 35 spline shaft along with a 3/8" drive flex joint.

Comment

• Other notes-
                          I have the counterbore in... I have to machine the shank down to 3/4" OD so that I can get it in a drill chuck. More on that later...
                          In the meantime, here's a thread on Pirate on the matter. Seeing that others have done has got me stoked. I hope to get on it by next weekend! \:D/

I found some 8 bolt rims off a '94 Chevy van that look like they will give me some decent backspacing. As far as I can tell, they are a 6.5-7" rim that has about 5" of backspacing. I'll be using these for the street tires-- 235-85-16's (measure out at 32")

Comment

• I just got a Yukon 4340 35 spline outer in. Here are comparison to the 30 spline 60 outer pics-- notice the extra beef around the u-joint bearing bores and of course the larger shaft/spline count. :)

Comment

• Wow, I didn't think there was going to be THAT much of a difference. Looks to be considerabley stronger. Much beefier.

Comment

• reminds me of when I was working on the rockwell
                                Dan M.
                                Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                                48 days on trail in 2012!
                                '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                                '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X