Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Harlan, in the rain, last Spring. It is amazing how sticky those rocks are when the are wet. We crawled almost everything

I came home from that Harlan trip and for the first time, the Jeep didn't need any major work- YAY! So with the passenger complaints echoing in my ears, I got around to installing that passengerside door bar.

Upgraded the 'icecube' relays to some automotive grade stuff.

If you haven't used this stuff-- it is great for keeping moisture out of your electronic connections. Dow-Corning #4 Electrical Silicone

then it was on to some double-shear hi-steer arms.

before

and this happened.

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    About Feb. 2017, I was noticing a growling noise coming from the drivetrain. I first thought it was the from wheel bearings, and then figured it was coming from the trans/T-case. I removed the rear cover off the NV4500 and replaced a snap-ring that the internet said was the problem. That fixed it for about a week.

Then I discovered the noise went away when the trans was in 3d gear. Well, it turned out that the 'Pro" shop that rebuilt the trans, before I got it, didn't do such a great job. THe rear output bearing and rear countershaft bearing were both spinning in their bores. To boot, they had beat the 1st gear onto the main shaft, damaging it's thrust bearing surface. Oh-- and none of the bearings seemed to have been preloaded anywhere close to spec

Some new parts, some creative bearing indexing, new tools (finally broke down and bought a arbor press) and some green loctite later, it is good as new.

and just for fun, some pics of a vintage NJJC shirt, back & front

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
    So - you had Hydramat in your fuel cell when we were in Harlan and you "had plenty of gas"?
    no- I PUT the Hydramat in the fuel cell because of that 'incident'. :D

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy
    replied
    So - you had Hydramat in your fuel cell when we were in Harlan and you "had plenty of gas"?

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    More to come...

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    The Fall of 2016 I started accruing parts for a 1350 rear driveshaft. The 1310's would literally last a day of wheeling or a few hard turbo pulls on the street ( I would hear the roller bearings popping) This shaft has been in since May, 2017, and haven't touched it since. The CV donor shaft is a '97-98 Ford Expedition. The slip yoke was a junkyard shelf find out of MIllers in Fort Mill

#jereel

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Some much needed updates-

Jan, 2016-- Holley Hydramat! Freakin' expensive, but worth EVERY penny! It will literally run standing on the tailgate, with 3 gallons in the tank.

The new SS flange worked great, but I still had issues-- the manifold cracked. THis was in part doe to the turbo being unsupported and the head flange of the hedder not allowing the stainless to expand and contract. I cut the #1 & #6 exhaust flanges free of the rest of the flange. Sorry, no pics of the cool turbo brace. That was over a year and a half ago-- no new issues so far!

Seems like the catalyst wore out-- got a new one of those in over the winter. I think it was $70 from NAPA. Jeeps smells alot better now!

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Thanks for the props! That was a great time-- extra cool to have it in Crawl.

I gotta update some tech-- just harder than ever for me to get photos off my phone and onto the internet.

Leave a comment:

• sottiriou88
    replied
    The Barnacle was featured in this month's issue #60 of Crawl Magazine. Starting on page 56 you will see Peter's Jeep CJ. Very cool!

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Thanks Rich

Was out at Bearwallow in WV this last week. 300 miles eaxh way - got 16 mpg doing 65-70. Wheeled it hard. No issues to report. Love this thing!

Leave a comment:

• Rich69
    replied
    Nice Work!

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    Pete- yes, they are hard to find! I literally stumbled over these guys. The nunbers were about the same overall, just alot more torque down low.

Dan, yeah, it wasn't on by much.

Leave a comment:

• warthog_cj7
    replied
    Nice to see the Rest of the story!

Surprised that turbo mount was still attached.

Looks good.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    That's awesome!! How did the numbers look on the dyno? Horsepower, torque, and AFR? Load cell dynos are hard to find but they are the absolute best for EFI tuning!

Leave a comment:

• Jeep-Power
    replied
    But before they could squeeze me in-- it was time to drive 6 hours north to The Cove Crawl!

The whole way home...

THEN it was time to tune. They are right next door to work, so drop off was easy.

Motion Labs has a load dyno, that allows the engine to be held under any load at any RPM range-- this allows the tuner to find the optimum timing curve. It was worth every penny, as the Jeep has much more power between 1K-2K , starts up alot easier, has a smoother idle, and runs ALOT cooler.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X