New, to me, Tow Rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New, to me, Tow Rig

About 2 years ago my '06 F250 was borrowed by the City of Elizabeth's more finer residents. They for some reason never asked my permission or returned it. With a baby on the way, I thought it would be more practical to get a family car...wow I was mistaken, the Ford Focus couldn't even tow the TJ.

I got rid of the family car and went out and bought an '07 F-250 Lariat, Crew Cab, Long Bed, diesel with 186K miles. I'll be changing out the fluids, and doing other maintenance and repairs as needed. So far, I've changed out the oil for Rotella T6, both fuel filters, cleaned the EGR valve, replaced ball joints, and axle U-joints. Next will be replacing the Trans and T-Case fluids for Amsoil, followed by the axles for Royal Purple, and getting rid of the Ford Gold coolant for CAT ELC and a coolant filter.
    Mike
    '04 TJ Clayton 3.5

Axle Performance & Offroad
    Facebook Page

"I need a plane ticket and a Pizza" - Unnamed NJJC Member

"Whiskey and Beer are a man's worst enemies... but the man that runs away from his enemies is a coward!" -- Zeca Pagodinho (Brazilian songwriter)

Id get rid of the hubs and do slugs thats why the superdutys are the most stolen new truck. There was a local dealer that had the same truck stolen and stripped twice.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
    -tom
    Originally posted by Sigmaz
    la la la ...
    We just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues because we're really smart.

ahem.. sorry about that ..

.....wheres my medicine?

Comment

I was thinking about that too. But, know of another one that was stolen, it was driven away not towed.
      Mike
      '04 TJ Clayton 3.5

Facebook Page

"Whiskey and Beer are a man's worst enemies... but the man that runs away from his enemies is a coward!" -- Zeca Pagodinho (Brazilian songwriter)

Comment

I've installed quite a few gps 's I can show you the harness they use if you wanna try to add protection to slow them down

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
        -tom
        Originally posted by Sigmaz
        la la la ...
        We just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues, we just figured out blues clues because we're really smart.

ahem.. sorry about that ..

.....wheres my medicine?

Comment

Nice upgrade
          Dan M.
          Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
          48 days on trail in 2012!
          '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
          '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

Tom, thanks I'd like know more about them.
            Mike
            '04 TJ Clayton 3.5

Facebook Page

Comment

Just an update what I've had done and upgraded on the truck. Everyone's heard of the Powerstroke 6.0 problems. The problems stem from a restrictive oil cooler and use of incorrect coolant. The O.E. oil cooler with incorrect coolant, clogs and restrict passage of coolant to the EGR cooler which makes the temps inside the EGR cooler go way up, and eventually cause failure. The other main issue is Ford using TTY head bolts which can stretch overtime and cause blown head gaskets.

Thankfully, my truck just started showing signs of EGR failure this year, after 237K miles. I brought the truck into All American Ford to have the EGR cooler replaced. I also decided to upgrade the EGR cooler with Bullet Proof Diesel's EGR cooler, Ford's new oil cooler, new injectors, head gasket, stand pipes, dummy plugs, and ARP studs in place of the TTY bolts. I chose the Ford oil cooler since the plastic screen (which fails) has been replaced with a metal one along with the new one being less restrictive. After the work was done I noticed the ECT and EOT dramatically lower and the differences within 6 degrees (15 degree difference is the max).

The rest was performed by me in the driveway with typical hand tools:

I recently upgraded my exhaust manifolds with BD Diesel exhaust manifolds, Mishimoto Intercooler pipes (hot and cold sides), MBRP 5" XP exhaust without a catalytic convertor. The new exhaust manifolds are beefier, they direct the exhaust flow better to the up pipe, and hold the exhaust heat more so the turbo will spool faster. The new intercooler pipes are polished aluminum, less restrictive with less bends.

I tried to post pics, but it won't let me. Perhaps Chris can.
              Mike
              '04 TJ Clayton 3.5

Facebook Page

Comment

Mike, If you have tapatalk, the image uploads from there work great. If you don't and you want to email me the pics to upload, I will push them up. my email is the same as my username here @yahoo.com.
                Chris H.
                '12 Black JK 2dr

Comment

Upgrades sound really good.

So what are dummy plugs used for?
                  Dan M.
                  Former President, Secretary, Treasurer
                  48 days on trail in 2012!
                  '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
                  '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

Comment

Originally posted by warthog_cj7 View Post
                    Upgrades sound really good.

So what are dummy plugs used for?
                    The dummy plugs are stop oil from flowing out of the oil rails. The oil rails are the same for both sides and both have holes in them for the Stand Pipes to supply oil to the oil rails. The front holes not used and are plugged with the Dummy Plugs.
                    Mike
                    '04 TJ Clayton 3.5

Facebook Page

Comment

Performed a little upgrade today. The turbo on the 6.0L needed to be replaced, so as a true Jeeper, I took this as opportunity to upgrade it. Since my truck has factory injectors and fuel pump, there really would be no reason to get an extremely large turbo. So that left me with a few options; Garrett Powermax, ATS Aurora 3000, and Fleece Cheetah. Out of the 3 of these, I chose to go with the Garrett Powermax, it has a 63.5mm compressor wheel and still retains the Variable Nozzle Technology (VNT), which allows fast spool up at take offs.

Just to compare the Powermax with ATS and Fleece: ATS has is a fixed vain, so spooling up at take off would be needed, also the compressor inducer is 58mm compared to the 63.5mm Powermax and Fleece. Fleece Cheetah, for Powerstrokes, is a Garrett turbo with the Fleece compressor and turbine wheels. For me, the added price difference (almost doubled of Garrett) it didn't justify using the Fleece.

The removal and install were pretty straight forward. Remove air intake, CAC tube. Disconnect the up and down pipes, remove oil tube, then unbolt turbo and snake it out of the truck. Install was actually faster and easier...Thank you Garrett! They make the turbo a true drop in replacement. No, clocking the turbo housing, don't have to loosen the turbo pedestal to line up the pipes. Everything lined up perfectly and took 1/2 the time of removing the factory turbo.

After the test drive, truck sounds and takes off like a jet. I'm very happy with the turbo, and would recommend it to any Powerstroke owner.
                      Attached Files
                      Mike
                      '04 TJ Clayton 3.5

Facebook Page

Comment

Sweet! Enjoyed following your posts for this on Instagram
                        Mike S.
                        '94 YJ "BlackRhinoYJ"
                        YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/BlackRhinoOffRoad

Comment

Thank you! I still have to put a video up on IG
                          Mike
                          '04 TJ Clayton 3.5

Facebook Page

Comment

Absolutely!!! That will be cool
                            Mike S.
                            '94 YJ "BlackRhinoYJ"
                            YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/BlackRhinoOffRoad

Comment

Working...
                            X