+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High capacity 2 quart OIL filter.

High capacity 2 quart OIL filter.

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS AND IS IT REALLY BENEFICIAL? Would more OIL be required during interval changes?

Donaldson Oil Filter
    $9.00

Fits Jeep 4.0 Liter straight 6 engines.

High capacity 2 quart filter.

Gain extra oil capacity with the same oil pan.

4 times larger than stock half quart filter.

Filter element is coiled spring retained. Not cheap leaf spring like other filters.

High flow integral bypass. Keeps clean and dirty oil separate at all times.

Robust case, almost 20 thousands thick. That’s almost twice as thick as a standard filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    L J Pete

JEEPIN
    "It's not getting older...It's getting newer part by part..."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    Thomas Jefferson

I've never heard of the brand, but I have heard of using deeper sump oil pans for more oil. Same for transmissions. I would guess that if the filter will hold two quarts, yeah, you'd probably end up adding some to make it full. Personally, I feel the standard 4.0 is already a great engine as-is, and whether you use more oil or not, you're still going to need to change it. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Chris Barnes - Former NJJC President, Wannabe Fabricator, Errant Mechanic
    I fix stuff by a little bit of trial, a lot of error, and a TON of bad words!
    2001 TJ, upgraded as broken

would require you to add an additional 1 1/2 quarts of oil, but it is generally thought more oil is better and cheaper than going deep pan route..
    Donaldson has been around for a long time making filters especially for big machines..
    Thanks JP 911 NEVER FORGET
    http://wheelersforthewoundednj.org/
    www.wheelersforthewounded.org
    www.sharetrails.org B.O.D. 2009, VP 2011-2013, Pres. 2013-
    www.militaryjeepers.com

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke

Work hard so millions on welfare dont HAVE TO

i know that an extra deep trans pan provides more fluid for better cooling

so a bit more oil can "lube" you up all inside.......

is it worth the $9 per change or can it be found cheaper? what kind of quality is Donaldson?

many oil filters cost between $5-12 each depending on brand

i like my WIX filters.... has been doing me well for 6 yrs
    L J Pete

JEEPIN

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    Thomas Jefferson

I've been using a larger than stock filter on both of our jeeps for years and haven't seen any adverse effects. I can say that they do increase the overall oil capacity (more oil is needed to do an oil change) and it definitely increases the filter media capacity, in my case doubling it, so it works for me. Now I've never heard of that brand either so I can't say much about that but I would be concerned about it actually fitting in there and not hitting anything as well as how hard or easy it would be to get off. Here's a picture of the one I'm using. It's Mobil 1 filter M1-301 and I can just get my hand around it to loosen it as it is now.

If it was any further back it would start getting into the trans tunnel and then you'd only be able to get off from underneath. I usually have an engine skid under there so that won't work for me. You can cross reference the Mobil 1 number and get another brand in this size if you wanted but the Mobil 1 seems to be a good filter so far.

Rob
    How much is the cost? My wix filters are $5 each & I'm very satisfied with them

I can't see spending more than that unlees the benefits are Great
    L J Pete

JEEPIN

Thomas Jefferson

Well being that it's a larger filter I'm sure the cost is going to be higher but for the reasons stated it's worth it to me at least.

Reg. NJJC Guest
    What benefits are you looking to get out of it? I don't know if the notion of " if 1 is good, 2 must be better" is valid. Like Chris said, I'd leave it alone.
    Kurt

'04 TJ Rubicon Buggy: Sold
    '05 LJ: long arm, locked on 35's
    '09 XK

I use the larger 1qt, not the small 1/2qt filter easy to reference against fram PH16 vs PH8 respectively. Only reason I do the 1qt is because it's an even oil change and not left w/ 1/2 qt. The 2qt like JP said is more your larger qty oil machines, diesel, etc. If it was intended, then it would have come with it. Yes Donaldson been around awhile.
    Dan M.
    NJJC President
    48 days on trail in 2012!
    '85 CJ7 - 4.0L,T-18,4.10s,Locked F&R,35s,Caged,Winch
    '68 Kaiser Jeep M715 body transplant on '90 Dodge W350 in progress

I have been using the NAPA I think its a 1724 (??), which is the 2 qt version of their 1515, (ph8A ford filter) and running Mobile One on a 6000 mile change interval. So far so good, in the DD Cherokee, 176,000 with the 1515 and Mobile One. The TJ has 65K on it.

Another thing with the 2 qt, it may not be much but the filter hangs further out from the engine block, the oil stays in the filter a little longer, essentially acting like oil cooler.

If anything, it makes me feel better using the 2 qt.
    Al Handy, 06 Rubi, 2013 Compass, 95 YJ, 73 Chevy Dump (DOA), 58 Cub Tractor, and 42 Allis C Tractor

Yeah I'm gonna stick with the Mobil 1 filter I've been using, I like the higher oil capacity and larger filter media area. It will take twice as much dirt to clog it so it gives you that extra bit of security against oil starvation compared to the smaller stock filter.

Reg. NJJC Guest
    To the guys who use the slightly larger then stock filer, does your 4.0 take 6.5 quarts or is it a 7 even quarts for a full oil change?

I just switched to Mobil 1 synthetic two oil changes ago and I'm trying to decide what I should set my OCI at with it. First synthetic oil change I tried out that new Mobil 1 extended performance syn 10w30, its says to change at 15k miles but thats a bit much for me. I used to do 3k miles on dino but this oil change I used M1 10w30 synthetic, maybe I should just do the change at 5-6k miles? I do a lot of stop and go driving with a decent amount of shut offs and starting. Sorry Pete for hijacking your thread just wanted to clarify what others full oil capacity is using a larger filter on a 4.0.
    Anthony..
    1999 Jeep cherokee, AW4/NP231, 4.5 inch Rock Krawler 3 Link, 33x12.50 KM2, armor everywhere, hp d30/aussie/yukon 4.88, 29 spline 8.25 tera disk brake conv/powertrax/yukon 4.88 .... Wants bigger tires!!

I never really paid attention I guess to how much it actually took, I know it's at least 6.5.

Donaldson is at least as good as Wix. Very well expected in larger engines. I do not think the 4.0 needs much more oil and they seem to last forever if maintained well, but if you "need" to do something I would be more apt to get an Amsoil by-pass filter setup because they filter finer particles.
    AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
    570-385-3931
    www.atozfabrication.com

No prob Ant on the hijack

im always interested in members opinions and thoughts

im in no way going to run out and use this filter - i just ran into it and knew that members use larger filters but 2 qts does seem extreme to me.

i love my wix and its in my price range - just stated b4

if it aint broke.....
    L J Pete

JEEPIN

Thomas Jefferson

why not just add in a oil cooler
    Bill B

06 TJ

Reg. NJJC Guest
    I use Wix or Mobil One filters. There are many poorly made filters out there lately. Some big name brands that have reported failures. I run synthetic and change every 5000 miles. 4.0 motor does run dirty and oil still needs to be change regularly. With that said my last Jeep (YJ) had 178,000 miles was sold and is still running at 268,000 miles. Gotta love that 6cyl.
    George 2005 TJ 4.5" Nth Degree Mobility LA, Dynatrac Pro 60, ARB, 4:88 Bilsteins, XD9000i, 35"s, Beadlocks, OBA, Roll Cage, coolers, armor etc.
    "Never argue with an idiot! People watching are never sure who is who!!!"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information