If you’re looking for a frame repair solution for the Jeep TJ, then this is the ultimate Jeep TJ Frame Repair Guide for you.
Repairing and Replacing your Jeep TJ frame is not as hard as you think. Become a pro in preparing your wrangler’s frame by following the instructions I have mentioned in this guide.
In this article, you will learn:
- How to repair and replace your JEEP TJ FRAME by yourself.
- How to take the frame off the jeep and prevent it from rusting.
- How to make a better choice in purchasing the best JEEP TJ FRAME REPAIR KIT.
Jeep TJ Frame Repair: How to Guide
Follow these steps to repair your Jeep TJ’s frame:
- Clean the frame to remove the solid rust.
- Remove the Skid Plate.
- Shut down the exhaust system
- Cut the rear side of the frame.
- Cut the frame in half.
- Measuring the frame to know the exact dimensions.
- Clean the Frame.
- Galvanize the frame and parts.
- Assemble all the removed parts.
Best Jeep TJ Frame Repair Kit
ELITEWILL TJ Frame Rust Repair Kit is tested as the Best Jeep TJ Frame Repair Kit that comes with front and rear Trail Arm and Center Skid Plate.
ELITEWILL TJ Frame Rust Repair Kit
- Property: It is made of high-strength 10 gauge steel.
- Effectiveness: Its Galvanised Protection Prevents corrosion.
- Ease of Setup: It is easy to install and fits all years of Jeep Wrangler TJ.
Check out this article on Jeep TJ Steering Upgrade if you are having some issues with your steering wheel.
Jeep TJ Frame Replacement: How To Guide
Searching for a guide to follow concerning your Jeep TJ frame replacement? Worry no more, as we have prepared a concise step by step process on how to install your frame yourself.
Follow these steps for Jeep TJ Frame Replacement:
- Bring out your toolbox, containing your PB blaster, new bolts, etc.
- Proceed to the bonnet to remove your car battery.
- Empty all fluids, e.g fuel.
- Disable all connections between the body and the frame (brake lines, steering shaft, hoses, body mounts).
- Make use of a ceiling hoist or forklift to separate the body from your frame.
- Make use of a PB blaster to remove the corroded bolts.
- Bring out the engine and drivetrain.
- Couple each part back on the new frame, you intend to install with new and rust free bolts.
Difference between Jeep TJ Frame Repair vs Replacement
|Jeep TJ Frame Repair||Jeep TJ Frame Replacement|
|Frame repair requires a little amendment to the frame, without disconnecting or removing any part of the vehicle.||Frame replacement requires disembodying of all attachments to the old frame.|
|Frame repair is less time-consuming.||Frame replacement is highly time-consuming.|
|Frame repair can be done effectively by a single person.||Frame replacement is labor-intensive and cannot be carried out by one individual.|
|Frame repair does not require specialized tools.||Frame replacement demands specialized tools.|
How thick is a Jeep TJ frame?
A Jeep TJ frame is “2.5” x 4.0″ and a little over 3/16″ in wall thickness. It is welded by trained and experienced mechanics.
Can you repair a rusted Jeep Wrangler TJ frame?
A rusted Jeep Wrangler TJ frame can be fixed by using a frame repair kit. Don’t let the rust on your frame, be it little or huge, determine the end of your Jeep.
How do I stop my Jeep TJ frame from rusting?
Follow these steps to stop your Jeep TJ frame from rusting:
- Take your car hygiene routine seriously, especially if you toil on salty roads or marshy grounds frequently.
- Check your undercarriage often. This can be done by you or a professional.
- Coat your frame with paint as it would give no room for corrosion.
Are all Jeep TJ frames the same?
Jeep TJ frames year range i.e 1997-2002, 2003-2006, can be interchanged and are the same. Although the mount locations share no similarity between the engines.
How do you take the frame off a Jeep TJ body?
Taking the frame off a Jeep TJ body is a labor intensive routine that requires disconnecting vital parts of your vehicle i.e car battery, heater hoses, wiring harness, steering shaft, brake lines, bolts, etc. After the disconnection of the engine parts, you either make use of a forklift or ceiling hoist to lift the frame off the Jeep TJ body.
What is the Jeep TJ Frame Repair Cost?
The Jeep TJ Frame Repair Cost has a price range varying from $2,000 – $3,000. Please note that the above-mentioned cost involves only repairing the corroded frame and not changing the entire frame of your Jeep TJ.
What is the Jeep TJ Frame Replacement Cost?
Jeep TJ Frame Replacement Costs $5,000 – $35,000. This pricing differs based on factors like the damage (vehicle condition), your vehicle model/year, window size, etc.
Jeep Wrangler TJ Frame Rust Recall
2007-2008 are the Jeep Wrangler year bracket to avoid. Aluminum was used to reduce the vehicle’s weight, which made it lighter weight compared to the others. This change also led to an increase in fuel efficiency.
The positive changes posed negative effects and took a wrong turn when Jeep owners began to experience the huge stress of corroding door hinges and door slabs.
Why would my Jeep TJ frame need repair?
The most common reason for Jeep TJ frame repair is rust or corrosion, which can weaken the structural integrity of the frame. Other reasons for repair might include damage caused by accidents, off-roading, or normal wear and tear.
How long does it take to repair a Jeep TJ frame?
Minor repairs for Jeep TJ frames take only a few hours, while extensive repairs or frame replacements can take several days or even weeks.
Will repairing my Jeep TJ frame affect its value?
Repairing a damaged or rusted frame can help maintain or even increase the value of your Jeep TJ, as it ensures the vehicle’s structural integrity and longevity.
Please note that Jeep TJ Frame repair is not focused on rust alone. Frame rust is talked about frequently because it is the most common problem associated with Jeep Wrangler owners. Door hinges failure, faulty front axle (2007-2010), etc are other existing Jeep TJ frame problems. Purchase the recommended Jeep TJ frame repair kit, when need is to control frame rust. It is advisable to hire a professional to handle your Jeep frame replacement, to avoid damaging some parts of your vehicle while disconnecting them. Bear in mind that the Jeep TJ frame replacement cost is highly expensive.