I remember when I had issues with my Jeep TJ Steering, though I didn’t know what to do.
A friend of mine suggested an upgrade and I saw it as a good thing. Here I will be guiding you on Jeep TJ Steering Upgrade and guide you through the process if you are planning on doing so too.
Without waste of time let’s go straight to the main topic which is Jeep TJ Steering Upgrade.
How To Know If your Jeep TJ Steering Needs an Upgrade
When you start noticing any of the following, just know that your car steering needs an upgrade.
- When you are in High Climate conditions and your car’s steering is hard to turn.
- When you are driving in a sandy area and feel the steering to be stiff.
- When you are in the express and your steering is hard to turn.
- You lose speed during harsh turns.
When these three things have happened, just know that your Jeep TJ needs a steering upgrade.
Jeep TJ Steering Upgrade: How to Guide
In this tutorial, we are going to be using a product called Rugged Ridge 18050.82 Steering Kit which has all the materials needed for the upgrade.
Rugged Ridge Jeep Wrangler TJ Steering Kit
This heavy-duty steering kit is the #1 recommended kit for Jeep TJ.
- Industrial Strength and Durability.
- 5-Year Warranty.
- 1 Ton Strength.
Follow these steps for Jeep TJ Steering Upgrade:
- Open your Jeep TJ’s bonnet.
- Remove the air box, grill, fender, and bumper.
- Unplug all the connections and unmount the pump.
- Remove the relief valve and adjust the regulator in and out.
- Install the pressure gauge, hose gauge, and sandwich adapter from the steering kit.
- Make sure they are in the lower pressure.
- Install the Apex Cooler to cool your car system.
- Jack up your car and pour some fluid and turn the steering multiple times until the fluid gets in there, this is to bleed the system.
- Start the jeep and keep doing that until the car is completely bled.
- On JLS and JLT, you need to use a special kind of Fluid called a chip.
- Put the fluid inside the car until the steering gets flexible.
- When everything is good, you can now set the pressure.
- Start the car and power it until the pressure gets to 800 psi.
- At this point, the steering is very flexible and correctly installed.
Best Jeep TJ Steering Box Upgrade
The best Jeep TJ steering Box upgrade is Vital All-Terrain Durango Swap which is compatible with Jeep TJ Wrangler and Cherokee.
Vital All-Terrain Durango Swap Heavy Duty Power Steering Gear Box for Jeep TJ
This heavy-duty steering kit is the #1 recommended kit for Jeep TJ.
- Fits all the Jeep TJ years’ models.
- Perfect for Jeeps with 31, 33, 35, 37 Inch Tires.
- Easier turning for larger wheels than OEM gearbox.
Jeep TJ Steering Wheel Upgrade
Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee, and Compass all have the same steering plugs for their airbags. So, if you are looking for a Jeep TJ Steering Wheel Upgrade, check out the below recommended OEM quality steering wheel.
Jeep Wrangler TJ Steering Wheel
This Jeep TJ steering wheel fits all the models and years and will fit the steering column perfectly.
Best Jeep TJ Steering Stabilizer
Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer is the best Jeep TJ Steering Stabilizer because its rating is 4.7 which is awesome and affordable.
You may also like this article on Jeep TJ Transfer Case Linkage Diagram.
Crossover Steering Jeep TJ
If you’re looking for the best crossover steering Jeep TJ, then I recommend you go for the Currie Currectlync steering system which is very much available on the Amazon store.
Steinjager/GCD Steering Crossover Kit for 1997-2006 fits Jeep Wrangler TJ
The Currie Currectlync heavy-duty tie rod and drag link system is designed for all Wrangler TJs and some other models of the jeep like Cherokee XJ.
- This Crossover Steering for Jeep TJ is pretty much affordable.
- The system includes a new 1-1/ 4 – inches, chrome-moly bar stock tie rod that’s bored and threaded on the ends.
While this crossover steering kit will work on most of the Wrangler and some other jeep models, it is best for a car that is well equipped with some degree of lifts this is because Currie components are much larger in diameter than stock and require a bit more clearance for unobstructed operation.
Jeep TJ Tie Rod Upgrade
If your Jeep TJ’s tie rod is not functioning the way it should, the best thing to do is to go for an upgrade.
Rough Country Heavy Duty Tie Rod for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ
- Heavy Duty 1.25″ OD DOM tubing.
- Easy Installation.
For you to do the Jeep TJ Tie Rod Upgrade, you need to get the following:
- 1 inner tie rod which is sold for $34.99
- 1 outer tie rod end which is sold for $28.99
- 1 adjusting sleeve which is sold for $22.99
- Liquidtight Flexible Non-Metallic Conduit 1″ inside diameter about $1.06/ft Tie-Rod Separator (I used my ball joint separator as it is easy, clean, and doesn’t ruin the boots or rod ends.
- My recommendation is from Harbor Freight Tools.
- Torque wrench
- Tremclad paint
- Synthetic grease/grease gun
- Basic Socket set
- Tape Measure
- Basic wrenches
- Wire snips and/or pliers to help get the coder pin out of the old castle nuts.
- Beer, sunshine, and your favorite tunes (optional, but always recommended!)
So in all, you would be spending at least $100 for a tie rod in Jeep TJ Steering Upgrade.
Jeep TJ Steering Knuckle Upgrade
The best Jeep TJ Steering Knuckle Upgrade is the TeraFlex 4828490 Knuckle Kit (High Steer).
TeraFlex 4828490 Knuckle Kit
The TeraFlex TJ high steer knuckle kit is designed to be used with 4+” of lift and will help to maximize steering component ground clearance and assist in the easy correction of steering geometry.
- This kit will work with a 15″ wheel with 3.5″ or less backspacing
- This kit will fit all TJ Wrangler models including Rubicon and Unlimited and is for use with 4+” of lift
- Fit type: Vehicle Specific
Note: The high steer knuckle kit is not all-inclusive. Additional modifications will be required that are not included in the TeraFlex high steer knuckle kit. These modifications include a new tie rod and drag link, and may include front sway bar links, front track bar mounting, and offset wheels.
Jeep TJ Heavy Duty Steering Kit
If you are looking for a Jeep TJ Heavy Duty Steering Kit, the Rough Country HD Steering Kit w/Stabilizer for Jeep TJ is the best.
Installing a new steering kit will be necessary in this Jeep TJ Steering Upgrade guide.
How Do I Make My Jeep TJ Steering Tighter?
Follow these steps to make your Jeep TJ Steering Tighter:
- Sit down in front of your TJ and have someone turn the steering wheel back & forth while you watch the front-end components.
- Check your Pitman Arm and look for bolts that are preventing your TJ’s steering from getting tight.
- Adjust your steering box.
- Check the allen nut and turn the allen key for about 1/4th turn.
How Do I Get Rid of Bump Steer on My Jeep TJ?
Bump steer is typically caused by one of two things, lifting your Wrangler incorrectly or loose, broken, or bent suspension components.
To get rid of Bump Steer on a Jeep TJ,
- The drag link and the track bar should be on the same angle/plane, when they aren’t, you get bump steer.
- Make sure the castor and toe are set correctly.
In this article, I have explained the Jeep TJ Steering Upgrade process and other topics like steering, steering box, knuckle, and stabilizer upgrades.